VOGONS

AMD Athlon WinXP Upgrade Advice

Topic actions

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tapping the Vogons opinion database again here. The new project system is my original Windows XP computer. It was SUPPOSED to be a gaming rig, but I can tell now that it's horribly crippled for that task. And I'm guilty of doing it back in the early 2000s. The system was built around 2002 with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino 1.53GHz (133MHz FSB, 11.5x multiplier)
Motherboard: Abit KX7-333
BIOS: Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00 PG (06/05/2002)
AGP Version: 2.0 (x4 mode supported)
Chipset: VIA KT266/333 (yes, I know people here hate these)
Memory: 256MB PC2100 (DDR-266) SuperTalent running at 133MHz (SPD)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 7500 64MB
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI

I have done the following upgrades since then:
Memory: 2GB (1GB x 2) PC3200 (DDR-200) SuperTalent running at 166MHz (SPD)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (this is more of a downgrade, as it turns out)

Here's the current setup: 3smzsb.png

Stupid me at the time thought a higher number on the ATI cards meant better performance. /facepalm

So I'm looking for some advice. I've pretty much maxed the system RAM out at 2GB here and it's running at FSB+33MHz as verified by CPU-z. Also I'm not looking to upgrade the processor because then I'd be competing with my gaming laptop, which runs a 2.1GHz Pentium M and a GeForce 7800GTX graphics card. What I'm looking for is the best I can do for the period of the system...roughly 2003.

I am looking at (on Ebay) an ATI Radeon X 850XT Platinum Edition "NEW" Factory Sealed for $100. That's awfully expensive for such an old item, but I think the AGP cards are becoming rare and retro gaming is driving the price up. I was looking for a 9800xt but couldn't find anything outside of the Mac versions without spending over $100 there as well. Looked at the lesser 9700 Pro and it was also hard to find and up in the $100 price range. So I looked higher and found the X850xt noted above. I'm still limited by the 4x AGP bus, but I have a 500-Watt power supply, so no issues there.

Games to run on this system include:
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Doom 3
Half-Life 2
F.E.A.R. (barely meets hardware requirements)

Gaming Resolution: 1360 x 768 x 32bit (16:9)

I should probably add - I live in the U.S.A.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope you're not gonna try running FEAR on that Radeon 7500. FEAR ran absolutely terrible on my FX5900, it really required me to replace it with a GF6800. Please do yourself a favor and keep looking for something better 😀

I don't know about the other games though.

How are the rails of your PSU and how are they distributed?

I fear though that running anything faster than that X850 will really be limited by the board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

How are the rails of your PSU and how are they distributed?

IMG_0104.JPG
Filename
IMG_0104.JPG
File size
811.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And I know I'm "overreaching" the current hardware. The Radeon 9550 is a piece of shit. It's an ENTRY LEVEL card! I want an ENTHUSIAST level card, like the X850....but I wanted advice from people who've worked on this level of hardware. The CPU is only 1.53GHz, even though it's a Palomino core with SSE and 3DNOW. And it has 2GB of RAM now.

I just installed Morrowind fully, complete with Tribune and Bloodmoon. And I started it. It was stuttery a bit until I lowered the draw distance and turned off shadows. Then it became smoother - though I haven't gotten the sneak around and steal stuff part down yet.

Downloaded and installed Steam, but it won't start up, so I'll probably uninstall it.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 123, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on an XP 1800 forget Fear, that game really needs at least an Athlon 64/Pentium4 HT with 7800GT/x1800 XL to become playable. Also why are you sticking with ATI cards, in this era ATI still had massive driver issues, I'd if i was you would be looking more for a 6800GT. I have an x800XT and i prefer my 6800GT because its more stable

Reply 5 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't already have any (more) spare high-end AGP graphics cards, perhaps it would be a good idea to try and be patient while looking for any relatively powerful AGP card, including locally.

I've gotten pretty good graphics cards for hardly anything (like AGP HD3850 for like €10) and Meljor even got stacks of pure visual treasure for mere snippits like even in 2017! (Well done Meljor, you have been approventh 😜).

But to be honest, what are your other options atm? Your motherboard seems also like a limiting factor (though you did well on the RAM department with 2GB). For a game like FEAR I'd use something more along the lines of 3+GHz Northwood or A64.

My now long gone A7V333 Thoroughbred 2000+ rig using a R9600 even had troubles running games like Battlestations Midway and I think Unreal II had a hard time as well (not 100% sure about U2 though, but I definitely remember it running vastly improved on a 2.2GHz A64 with GF7600 I build later).

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

on an XP 1800 forget Fear, that game really needs at least an Athlon 64/Pentium4 HT with 7800GT/x1800 XL to become playable. Also why are you sticking with ATI cards, in this era ATI still had massive driver issues, I'd if i was you would be looking more for a 6800GT. I have an x800XT and i prefer my 6800GT because its more stable

For me GF7600GS and GF6800 Vanilla ran FEAR at very playable framerates though. Both rigs using 2.2GHz A64 CPUs.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't get hung up on F.E.A.R. I've played it a few times on my laptop at smooth framerates. If it doesn't run on THIS system, oh well. This is more to bridge the gap between my Win98 system and the laptop. A better card will play Morrowind very well with a higher draw distance. I mean hell, I could play Morrowind on the Win98 system with a TNT2 card and 600MHz Pentium III, but plays much better on this system. I just want to push what this system can do without replacing EVERYTHING. If I was really concerned about 400+ FPS, I'd just try to play the game on my i7-6700K 16GB-DDR4 GTX980ti system.

Think of this project as milking the most performance I can get out of this processor, MB, and RAM. The graphics card is my concern right now. The Live! 5.1 sound card is more than capable. I just installed VLC and I'm watching Star Trek Beyond right now and it's smooth. Steam won't run, but that's not exactly a big deal. I understand the CPU will be a bottleneck, but right now this 9550 is the bottleneck to performance. I'd rather the CPU run at full-tilt than wait on some underpowered GPU.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 8 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

Don't get hung up on F.E.A.R. I've played it a few times on my laptop at smooth framerates. If it doesn't run on THIS system, oh well. This is more to bridge the gap between my Win98 system and the laptop. A better card will play Morrowind very well with a higher draw distance. I mean hell, I could play Morrowind on the Win98 system with a TNT2 card and 600MHz Pentium III, but plays much better on this system. I just want to push what this system can do without replacing EVERYTHING. If I was really concerned about 400+ FPS, I'd just try to play the game on my i7-6700K 16GB-DDR4 GTX980ti system.

Think of this project as milking the most performance I can get out of this processor, MB, and RAM. The graphics card is my concern right now. The Live! 5.1 sound card is more than capable. I just installed VLC and I'm watching Star Trek Beyond right now and it's smooth. Steam won't run, but that's not exactly a big deal. I understand the CPU will be a bottleneck, but right now this 9550 is the bottleneck to performance. I'd rather the CPU run at full-tilt than wait on some underpowered GPU.

I think I can see where you're coming from.

Still, upgrading the graphics card seems like your best bet, but perhaps even something a Radeon 9600XT might already start making the CPU bottleneck.
But if you forget about FEAR, how bout using a more high-end GF FX? Such a graphics card seems to be kinda right for such a CPU.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 123, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Tetrium, i do my best 🤣

If the Athlon xp 1800+ is the max. and the card needs to fit that your best bet is a geforce4Ti, anything higher will be a bottleneck. You can also find these cheap so win win situation, it will be almost 2x as fast as your current setup. The 128mb ti4200 will do the job. An alternative would be a fx5700 card.

Otherwise go for the best thing and grab a x1900pro agp or HD3850 agp somewhere, at least you then have the fastest agp card if you want to build a faster system later.

Other (cheaper) options, with a bit of overkill are geforce 6600/6600gt/7600gs/7600gt or x800 series/hd2600

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 123, by Kropotkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

What I'm looking for is the best I can do for the period of the system...roughly 2003.

Radeon 9500 Pro/9600 XT, Geforce FX 5800/Ultra, Geforce FX 5900 XT/5900/Ultra/5950 Ultra
Radeon 9700/Pro, Radeon 9800/Pro/XT

Last edited by Kropotkin on 2017-01-07, 00:07. Edited 15 times in total.

Reply 11 of 123, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see no use in using Morrowind as a reference for this config. You'll never be able to run it properly. Crank up the view distance, install a texture mod but do that on a 2005+ PC. I'd even try running it on my hd6850 if it had an older Windows.
Back in the day I ran it on a Palomino 1700+ and upgraded the graphics card to a GF3Ti200. It worked, but I would not want to repeat the experience today.

Also, no video card of that era is worth $100. The most I payed until now was about $18 for a nice boxed Leadtek Geforce 5700FX. Oh, the Voodoos were a bit more. $35 for a PCI Banshee, $20-25 for V3 2000.

Reply 12 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I appreciate the thoughts and opinions here. What I had looked up before showed me the 9800xt as the most powerful card for this system without wasting performance. I also just don't want to pay $100 for it simply because the rarity of the card is allowing people to price-gouge on E-bay. And nobody has stuff like this lying around where I live, so I'm just torn.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 13 of 123, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elod wrote:

I see no use in using Morrowind as a reference for this config. You'll never be able to run it properly. Crank up the view distance, install a texture mod but do that on a 2005+ PC. I'd even try running it on my hd6850 if it had an older Windows.
Back in the day I ran it on a Palomino 1700+ and upgraded the graphics card to a GF3Ti200. It worked, but I would not want to repeat the experience today.

Also, no video card of that era is worth $100. The most I payed until now was about $18 for a nice boxed Leadtek Geforce 5700FX. Oh, the Voodoos were a bit more. $35 for a PCI Banshee, $20-25 for V3 2000.

Thats not true an FX5800 Ultra is easily worth $100

As for Other cards, if your stuck on ATI look for the Radeon 9700TX, its between a Pro and a non pro and was dell exclusive, it's also cheap when they show up, like dirt cheap

Reply 14 of 123, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

I appreciate the thoughts and opinions here. What I had looked up before showed me the 9800xt as the most powerful card for this system without wasting performance. I also just don't want to pay $100 for it simply because the rarity of the card is allowing people to price-gouge on E-bay. And nobody has stuff like this lying around where I live, so I'm just torn.

Put up a local ad, drop the question on facebook, ask in your family or at work. You never know what people have laying around in old boxes etc.
This stuff keeps popping up online so it is out there. I never use Ebay and my country is rather small, but great deals pop up every now and then. Just keep searching.

Some cards do become pretty rare and as such can demand a high price. Problem with Ebay is that more and more people think that agp equals rare so it should mean moneyyyyyyyy.
You can see the ignorance in the fact that they do not know any details about the card. And tested? ''No, sorry, do not have a system for it...'' But it is AGP so i should still get rich, right?

Thank god there are still deals to be made and some are still sane but the amount of insane Ebay sellers is growing, that's for sure.
When i look at Ebay and see simple pci s3 trio's for 5 dollar...... and 55+ dollar 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 16 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Saw a riva tnt2 m64 Asus listed as rare once on ebay and they wanted $70.

That's pretty bad.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 17 of 123, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh hey, quick note you can usually OC the crap of the 9550's. Depending on the memory specs and cooling you should be able to get it to 9600 clocks.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

Unless it was some Dutch ad, the word "rare" actually means "strange" or "odd" translated to English, so perhaps it was a Dutchy selling some odd ASUS card 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 123, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Unless it was some Dutch ad, the word "rare" actually means "strange" or "odd" translated to English, so perhaps it was a Dutchy selling some odd ASUS card 😁

Doubt it, was shiped and sold in Utah 🤣, I remember that