VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I don't know much about SRAM chips for older pcs and I want to max out this system to 1mb cache.

Looks like it has 256k in it now

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
jade_angel wrote:

What model of motherboard is it? I might be able to ferret up some docs.

Well that's that hard part... I don't know. its out of a Unisys cwd 5001 and its sk7. I know it can support upto 1mb of cache and both 256k and 512k. I don't really know a lot about these chips so I hate to go and waist money on a crap shoot.

EDIT:

I think its a FIC 586-DBA

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-05, 15:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/U … 05001/Pictures/

I don't think it will help but I'll post it anyway. Its a page full of photos of the system.

here is the board layout and jumper settings, might help.
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/U … ration-mini.jpg

I honestly know so little about theses chips that I don't even know what the sockets are. I'm guessing 32pin dip or something.

Reply 5 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

I don't want to be pushy or anything, but I have a hard time believe no one has any advice all ready

There are existing threads with information about cache chips.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Such as? I could only find ones that were not of much help.

Also abit off topic but does anyone on know what the DIP socket (I think its 40pin) next to the bios chip would be for? I'll get a full photo of the board latter tonight.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-05, 15:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not absolutely certain, but 8 of the chips sold in this eBay store seem like they might be the right thing. I'm not clear on where the tag RAM goes on that board, though, and I have a sneaking suspicion it might be expecting the tag RAM to be on the SRAM chips, which would be something rather odd, I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT-MT5C1008-25-DIP-32 … Q8AAOSwq7JT58ao

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember this one: Shuttle HOT-433 with 1 MB cache

This bit should be what you look for "I am using 8 ISSI cache chips with part number IS61C1024-15N and a TAG by Winbond, with part number W24512AK-15."

There are other thread. I like using Google to search on VOGONS, works much better most of the time 😀

If you do upgrade to 1 MB, it would be awesome if you could do some before / after benchmarks.

Also take not of the timings. Apparently you can run tighter timings with 256 KB than with 1 MB. Or at least I heard something along those lines.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
I remember this one: Shuttle HOT-433 with 1 MB cache […]
Show full quote

I remember this one: Shuttle HOT-433 with 1 MB cache

This bit should be what you look for "I am using 8 ISSI cache chips with part number IS61C1024-15N and a TAG by Winbond, with part number W24512AK-15."

There are other thread. I like using Google to search on VOGONS, works much better most of the time 😀

If you do upgrade to 1 MB, it would be awesome if you could do some before / after benchmarks.

Also take not of the timings. Apparently you can run tighter timings with 256 KB than with 1 MB. Or at least I heard something along those lines.

I'll try google. I was using the sites search function, I will do before an after as well. I do agree wit the ram timings, most 128k chips I see online are slower.

Reply 10 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea, you should be fine with -15 (which is 15 ns). There are faster ones, but they can be harder to find. I believe for 33 MHz bus, 15 ns lets you use the fastest timings.

I had a good source for cache chips with Element 14, but they sold out. AliExpress is worth checking out, often cheaper than eBay. Some prices on eBay are rip-off, you can often get a board + chips for similar money, so beware.