VOGONS

First post, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I've obtained a Turion 64 MT28 1.6 GHz for my old MSI K8MM3 H. It's a socket 754. It works, it's all fine. But I can't, for the love of God, find any type od cooler that would fit it. There's plenty of 754 coolers out there but since this CPU has naked die (same as the old Athlons XP) they never reach the CPU surface. In some articles from the Turion era, I found out that there were two fans from Thermaltake made just for this CPU. And the there should be Zalman 7000 (preferably) or 7700 that fits the purpose. I can't find any of these anywhere. Does anyone know if I can use another model? I mean something simillar to Zalman 7000? It's a low profile machine so I can't use any tower coolers. I'm using the AMD stock cooler without the MB bracket, only placed on top of the CPU resulting in temperature of 31°C which is all good (CPU has only 25W). But that's obviously not a sustainable solution 😀 Thanks a bunch.

Reply 4 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Maybe try putting a copper shim in between the CPU die and the heatsink.

Nah a shim is a bad idea an extra layer is never good, though you gave me a great idea on this one, instead of a shim under the heatsink, add a rubber pad under the clip, a thick one, it will give you some wiggle room so it doesn't crush the die but will add enough highest to the retaining clip it should fit, unless the base of the heatsink mount is higher, in which case you should be able to shave that down

Reply 6 of 11, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

chrismeyer6: thank you, I'll take a look.
candle_86 and gdjacobs: I'm afradid I don't understand where exactly you want me to put that rubber pad. Could you clear that up for me please?
mr_bigmouth_502: thanks, not a bad idea, I think...

Why not use the copper shim? What would be the difference between this and proper IHS on a standard grey goo as they do nowadays.

Reply 7 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
socket.png
Filename
socket.png
File size
9.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Diagram to splain myself
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 11, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gdjacobs: Thank you. Either I'm completely dumb (may not be far out) or we have a different style of cooler in mind. What I have is a black plastic frame kind of bracket on the board and the cooler itself is just a block of aluminum with a metal stripe through and 90° eye on each end of that stripe. I see no place where I can put the rubber to make the heatsink get closer to the cpu.

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I didn't show it but the idea is that the clip is flanked on either side by Al or Cu fins. The clip sits in a channel cut into the heatsink fins and presses onto the base. It's essentially the same mechanism going all the way back to Socket 5, but they've improved it with a better bracket and a lever on the retention clip so you don't have to screw around with a flat head.

You're going to want to use something with a copper base. The idea is to use something squishy that puts pressure (but not too much) onto the CPU core as the clip wasn't designed for the lower height that the heatsink has to sit at. Hopefully the bracket allows the heatsink to sit lower as well.

Reply 10 of 11, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I think I now understand what you mean. It may be a lot safer from what i did, but I stumbled upon a cheap solution. I read another article, where someone removed an Athlon IHS and placed it on top of the Turion. Just like the shim idea. Well - I had a broken Sempron 3000+ (pins gone) and I used that for the IHS. Temps are around 35°C and the AMD box cooler gives enough pressure to hold it in place without it wiggling around.

All in all... big thanks for all the good ideas.

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like a great solution. This is also a case where a more durable solution for thermal compound like Ceramique or even thermal epoxy is likely appropriate.