VOGONS

Retro PC's small size??

Topic actions

First post, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Do you know classic PC's of a smaller size than usual?

I know: the ibm ps1 (carry the source on monitor), the amstrad 5086 and megapc, the olivetti pcs33 and a unysys 386, I do not remember the model.

Everything else I know are giant cpu and hulk or just tower or semitorre.

Reply 1 of 27, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, but my father's old DOS PC came in a flat AT case that the monitors could sit on top of and that always felt like a more efficient use of desk space than the ATX "tower" that came after it. I kind of wish I could find a desktop case like that in an ATX-standard for my Pentium 1 retro build with Windows 95. I'm just not willing to spend upwards of $80 on a case for this old system.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 27, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The closest system I can think of which I personally own would be a Toshiba T5200. It's a portable computer, which by its nature denotes small size. BUT, if you stretch your definitions, it might count, especially if you take these two factors about the T5200 into consideration:

-The built-in monitor is removable, allowing you to use it with an external VGA monitor much like a desktop computer

-The T5200 includes two ISA card slots, allowing a small degree of expandability using standard desktop computer expansion cards

Beyond that, only thing that pops to mind are the classic all-in-one Macintosh models, which technically were also marketed as semi-portable IIRC.

Reply 3 of 27, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Baby AT desktop cases really were magnificent in their compactness, using a riser to allow for six expansion cards in a low profile form factor is something that was completely lost with the adoption of the ATX format (outside of the server market). Finding a small enclosure for a classic PC is especially difficult as most low-profile cases are designed for low-profile cards, not full-height vintage ones with a riser.

Reply 4 of 27, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jarreboum wrote:

Baby AT desktop cases really were magnificent in their compactness, using a riser to allow for six expansion cards in a low profile form factor is something that was completely lost with the adoption of the ATX format (outside of the server market).

I think you're confusing it with LPX. Baby AT desktop cases don't use riser cards — they just use regular AT motherboards and cards are fitted vertically. They are more compact than tower AT but a bit taller than LPX.

Here's a desktop baby AT machine:

egznIQPm.jpg

iy7Ibarm.jpg

Here's an LPX machine

ghw7VdTm.jpg

EXq1pDtm.jpg

Also, I might be wrong, but LPX is not exactly a standard. You couldn't go to a shop, get an LPX motherboard, LPX case and an LPX PSU from different vendors. You would get it in a form of a branded computer without real upgrade options. The motherboards, riser cards and I/O shields would always differ slightly.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 27, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day of buying my first computer on my own, I had a Compaq Deskpro 486, almost identical to this one:

https://goo.gl/images/EY3yBb

Pretty compact for the time.

Reply 8 of 27, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LPX is kinda interesting because while it was never a true standard that you could just buy a bunch of parts and build a system it does look like there is some campatibility/interoprability between the different manufacturers. I've often thought about trying to see if I can get an LPX case and motherboard and make a generic looking LPX system.

Reply 11 of 27, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When i was in school we used ELONEX WS-425X super slim 486SX desktops.
I secretly connected two machines with null-modem cable and used for playing F-29 Retaliator dog fights.

It is probably first Enery Star computer ever.
http://www.kompjutry.cz/soubory/pocitacezahra … nex_ws425x.html
http://cackler.rajce.idnes.cz/Elonex_WS-425X/

P1050430.jpg

Reply 13 of 27, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Unisys sold some systems in the early 1990's that were small, the CWD series.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 14 of 27, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:

I know Unisys sold some systems in the early 1990's that were small, the CWD series.

I saw one of those systems up for sale locally a few months ago, but unfortunately it had already been sold to another person when I contacted the seller. It was tiny!

I also saw another ad for a very small desktop PC by Samsung which was either a 286 or 386 (don't remember) but I no longer remember the model name/number.

Reply 15 of 27, by Olivetti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Olivetti PCS 11.
P0028070.JPG
By the way I think Goupil was a French manufacturer right?

peklop wrote:

It is probably first Enery Star computer ever.

Apparently the first Energy Star computer was the IBM PS/2E. Another early one would be the Olivetti M6 400. Sadly I do not know when it was released, either 93 or early 94.

Reply 17 of 27, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Only found out about this today
Restoring a 486 Computer-in-a-Keyboard

Wow! 😳

That would be amazing for lan parties! 🤣 It even has an expansion slot, so you can plug in a network card 😀

Reply 18 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

I think you're confusing it with LPX. Baby AT desktop cases don't use riser cards — they just use regular AT motherboards and cards are fitted vertically. They are more compact than tower AT but a bit taller than LPX.

If you want a system smaller than LPX but still with decent expansion options, Asus' NLX "standard" offers a small form factor case, enough room for a CD, hard disk and floppy drive + 2 expansion cards.

Reply 19 of 27, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How retro are we talkin?
Get a Neoware Eon and you can pop in any half-length full height ISA sound card and it will function just fine as a Windows 98 DOS Machine.
I have a Neoware CA2, which is pretty similar and you can just BARELY squeeze a CT2260 Sound Blaster inside one if you shave off about 2mm from the back of the card. The only thing there is a trace for the Panasonic/Creative proprietary IDE connector.
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/neoware/Eon/index.shtml

It has a Geode GX1 Processor that can be configured down to 200mhz, and probably cache disabled by SetMul, and you can run DOS off a 64MB DIL Disk on Chip, and have a secondard PATA laptop hard drive installed (or a DOM flash disk).

It also has a ZIF socket for a slim floppy drive you could mount to the case externally, and since it's IDE compatible, You could also run a slave cable and some power out to an externally mounted CD Rom (or just use the USB 1.1 ports in Windows 98).
It cannot boot natively from USB though.

There's even a 5v and 12v power plug on the board, so you can make a molex connector for it.