VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Last week when I was toying with my Pentium 1, a little accident happened to 1 of my DoM's.
Installed all except the ram and booted..... and smoke started coming out of my psu 😵
.... ok there goes my computer I thought, I disconnected everything to start testing what's broken. Got a other Psu and went ahead, everything worked except my hd's, so I removed the IDE cables and there was the problem..... A melted IDE cable so I presumed my Samsung disk broke however to my surprise my kingspec DoM shortcircuited on the chip.
Now I am at a loss what the cause of this might've been, before I had Dom plugged in directly in the primary IDE slot and my Samsung and cdrom on the secondary IDE. Is the cable to blame or the IDE coupler.... meh lost a new psu and DoM 😢 lucky me the rest survived though.

Anybody got an idea how this could've happened and how to preven this?

IMG_20170110_WA0004.jpg IMG_20170110_WA0001.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, sorry to see/read about that. I have never bothered to stick my DOM's on an IDE cable. I always plugged directly into the motherboard. Yeah, loss of an IDE channel, but on a DOS rig, 8 or 16 GB is already overkill, so I don't miss it.

As for why it happened, I really can't say. I've never seen anything fry an IDE cable before. I've seen it several times on MFM/RLL cables of controllers and HDD's that failed, but not this. Been used DOM's for several years now, and never had an issue. I'll see if I can come up with some reasons this weekend and see if it can be avoided in the future. I hope the rest of the rig still works.

Reply 3 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Could be incompatible assignment of the IDE KEY pin, i.e. it is connected to GND on the motherboard but to 5V on the DOM. Some solutions, and as it seems your DOM, use the KEY pin to power devices through the IDE cable. A multimeter would be useful to confirm this is the cause.

To fix your problem you could cut pin 20 on your motherboard or in the IDE cable.

Your DOM might work again after you fix the burned trace.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 7, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Could be incompatible assignment of the IDE KEY pin, i.e. it is connected to GND on the motherboard but to 5V on the DOM. Some solutions, and as it seems your DOM, use the KEY pin to power devices through the IDE cable. A multimeter would be useful to confirm this is the cause.

To fix your problem you could cut pin 20 on your motherboard or in the IDE cable.

I think is the solution. I had a DOM once and it did this to the IDE cable I attached to the IDE controller. Usually those DOM's are placed directly onto the IDE controller card port. I tried to use the DOM by putting it on the IDE cable via a 40-pin male/male adapter. This did NOT work and the cable burnt up exactly as yours did, right in the middle near or on pin 20.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 6 of 7, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

I got away this time with a blown PSU, IDE cable and DoM, could be worse the next time. Hope I am able to get a replacement through warranty.

dogchainx wrote:

I think is the solution. I had a DOM once and it did this to the IDE cable I attached to the IDE controller. Usually those DOM's are placed directly onto the IDE controller card port. I tried to use the DOM by putting it on the IDE cable via a 40-pin male/male adapter. This did NOT work and the cable burnt up exactly as yours did, right in the middle near or on pin 20.

thanks for this, I did this at first aswell. At first I connected the DoM as primary IDE and my other HD and cd-rom as secondary IDE. already searching for a PCI IDE controller card to be able to mount my CD-rom as tertiary and my dom as primary and secondary for the intended dual boot.

Reply 7 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the PSU died from a shorted 5V line then it had no protection and thus is a piece of shit.
How did you plug the DOM to the cable? They are both socket after all.

1+1=10