VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got this nice brand new case and the power supply has the date of 2002. The power supply is a VPower VT-300ATX. When I was using it with my Celeron 1.4GHZ intel BX board and geforce4 4200 Ti my computer seemed a little sluggish and I was getting an average 56 frames in unreal gold and I swapped out the psu and put a bronze certified 300 watt seasonic in and notice a big improvement in performance and my frames in unreal is at an average of 62. Could it be that this power supply is crap and will fail in the near future? It sucks cause I would hate to toss out a brand new psu..... but if its not safe then its not safe. What do you guys think?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 2 of 9, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought my first Seasonic with my Core i5 Ivybridge, and its now serving me well with my i7 6800K

Never buying another brand again tbh.

The answer is obvious, if swapping PSUs improved your computing experience so drastically, the PSU is failing or is crap and not even delivering rated power.

Reply 3 of 9, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No way thats putting out rated power. Ive ran a 2.8GHZ P4 and a FX5950 off a stock Dell Dimension 4600 PSU (Reputedly one of the worst pieces of crap ever made) without issue. I ran a MSI Ti4200 off that too if you're looking for a more stable baseline. You can get a white certified 500 watt EVGA off Newegg for around 30-40 dollars. Mine has served me fine so far at load (680i SLI, E8400, GTX260, 6GB DDR2, 3 SATA Drives).

Never cheap out on a powersupply. I bought a "650 watt" Sharktech (Hint: Sharktech doesn't exist and the PSU was a rebranded design from a decade ago, which suprisingly actually was bronze certified, albiet at 400 watts.) and loaded it with a E7400, an 8800GTX, and a Audigy2. PC ended up starting to reboot itself 3 months later and it wasn't until i went to unplug the power supply cord and burned myself on the now partially melted power cord. Somehow the safety's didn't kick in (if they were even implemented and not disabled to allow such gross overloading of the power supply) and allowed the cord to melt which i assume eventually would have led to a house fire had I not decided to open my case to investigate. I went to attempt to return the item and the eBay seller had disappeared. I still have this PSU and I keep it around to remind me never to buy that brand again. This same company sells bogus units rated at up to 2KW. AFAIK there all rebranded models with less than half the power they claim to provide if that. There are so many of these horrible chinese scam companys (and there European counterparts) that its horrifying how many houses they may have burned down or people they may have killed selling these firestarters...

Do yourself a favor and get a decent PSU for your machine. Your life and your home is worth more than 40 dollars (I hope).

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4 of 9, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are rosewill power supplies any good? I have a 400 watt that I need to cap.

Reply 5 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rosewill's new power supplies are okay. Not as amazing for regulation as some others, but they generally are safe and meet spec. How old is the one you're talking about?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tend to agree with above. Don't skimp on the PSU. It's not worth it.
At least get something decent.

VPower doesn't sound legit if you ask me.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a rosewill iso-400 and its got 30A +5V witch i would like to use with a Asus Athlon without the four pin connector and a geforce 6800 gt.

Reply 8 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like from what I could find on google that the Rosewill is made by Channel Well Technology.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 9, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

So I got this nice brand new case and the power supply has the date of 2002. The power supply is a VPower VT-300ATX. When I was using it with my Celeron 1.4GHZ intel BX board and geforce4 4200 Ti my computer seemed a little sluggish and I was getting an average 56 frames in unreal gold and I swapped out the psu and put a bronze certified 300 watt seasonic in and notice a big improvement in performance and my frames in unreal is at an average of 62. Could it be that this power supply is crap and will fail in the near future? It sucks cause I would hate to toss out a brand new psu..... but if its not safe then its not safe. What do you guys think?

PSU's from 2002 and some totally unknown company.

Grab a new one.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z