VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having an issue where with the new video card and a fresh install of Windows 98 FE with unofficial SP2, my computer locks up at random.

I can play Quake for a while with no downside, but close the program and I crash. Or go to the driver panel, and crash. I'm running the 45.23 drivers from the Vogon's driver repository, using an Nvidia FX 5600 Ultra.

Should I remove the drivers and go older? I've been trying a few different things such as playing at lower resolutions, but it doesn't seem to matter what I do.

The system never had problems with my S3 Virge but of course the performance was way lower than what I wanted and I couldn't play any 3D accelerated games like Driver or Half-Life.

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Give the latest driver a shot and see.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 2 of 11, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has lowered the amount of lockups but in attempting something as simple as playing GLQuake the system still locked up, and also upon exiting the standard software version of Quake I'm also experiencing lockups. I'm wondering if it's not a worse problem than just drivers 😒 are there any major log files I could check? I'm not nearly as familiar with Windows 98 as I am more modern OS's

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are referring to the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a (or any version thereafter), it is only supported under Windows 98 Second Edition and, if memory serves, the English edition.

Reply 4 of 11, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

If you are referring to the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a (or any version thereafter), it is only supported under Windows 98 Second Edition and, if memory serves, the English edition.

I'm running "Unofficial Windows98 FE Service Pack 2.3.0" but as far as I could tell the locking was happening similarly on vanilla FE. Should I instead try running SE? I'm hoping it's not an issue caused by the GPU itself...

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 5 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I would recommend you rather try Windows 98 SE, with the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a.
The later Service Pack (3.x) also contains a USB stack driver. I normally just extract the USB stack separately and install after I've installed Service Pack 2.1a.

Reply 6 of 11, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Yes, I would recommend you rather try Windows 98 SE, with the Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a.
The later Service Pack (3.x) also contains a USB stack driver. I normally just extract the USB stack separately and install after I've installed Service Pack 2.1a.

Alright, well I installed 98SE with the latest video drivers and no service pack, copied my OpenGL32.dll from C:\Windows\System to C:\Games\Quake, replaced the packed in so that GLQuake works with my GPU, and the game still locked up. I'm wondering at this point if maybe the GPU is pushing the limits of my PSU, as I didn't realize the rating of the PSU is 50w lower than what the GPU requires. I'll easily be able to replace the PSU, but it's really something I should've noticed earlier.

I'll report back after I'm able to replace the PSU and see if the GPU works well after that, I need to rest for work. Thank you so much for your assistance, it's appreciated even if I didn't get things working tonight.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 7 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:
jesolo wrote:

Alright, well I installed 98SE with the latest video drivers and no service pack, copied my OpenGL32.dll from C:\Windows\System to C:\Games\Quake, replaced the packed in so that GLQuake works with my GPU, and the game still locked up. I'm wondering at this point if maybe the GPU is pushing the limits of my PSU, as I didn't realize the rating of the PSU is 50w lower than what the GPU requires. I'll easily be able to replace the PSU, but it's really something I should've noticed earlier.

I'll report back after I'm able to replace the PSU and see if the GPU works well after that, I need to rest for work. Thank you so much for your assistance, it's appreciated even if I didn't get things working tonight.

Is it the same PSU you used in this build? My Win98 Gaming Build
If so, try an older PSU and if you feel like being thorough, try the FX5600 in another rig and see if it will still lock up.

If you're using a 200W PSU it may be that it has a hard time keeping everything in order when using that FX5600.

Btw, it is common sense to list all the specs whenever asking for a solution to a problem with any rig. The problem may not be what you might expect, so it's best to omit as little as possible.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 11, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Is it the same PSU you used in this build? My Win98 Gaming Build If so, try an older PSU and if you feel like being thorough, tr […]
Show full quote
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:
jesolo wrote:

Is it the same PSU you used in this build? My Win98 Gaming Build
If so, try an older PSU and if you feel like being thorough, try the FX5600 in another rig and see if it will still lock up.

If you're using a 200W PSU it may be that it has a hard time keeping everything in order when using that FX5600.

Btw, it is common sense to list all the specs whenever asking for a solution to a problem with any rig. The problem may not be what you might expect, so it's best to omit as little as possible.

It indeed is the same rig. I'm sorry I didn't list the specs, I was half asleep due to it being so late and quite frustrated as I'm sure you could tell. I tend to be better about those kinds of things.

I don't currently have another rig I can test that specific GPU in, however I do have some other PSUs around here that I intend on trying. I'm hoping it's simply the PSU isn't powerful enough.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 10 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy9fV_zX_o
A classic. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tore the entire rig apart, hooked it up to a 300w PSU that I had laying around, hooked all the peripherals up... It's no longer locking up on the latest drivers. I intend on downgrading drivers when I do a clean install on a larger drive I got for it. I also pulled and reseated the RAM, leaving one chip out. This left me with 256MB instead of the 512 I had previously been running, so that could be helping with that as well. Either way, it looks like I need a new case as my Gateway case cannot fit the new power supply. I'll likely cram it into a modern case for now. Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

The Beast 2.0: