Best use for old hard drives?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1919 wrote:

I would take all your SCSI drives but the shipping will probably be a pain.

There are 10 in the picture and 2 of them are claimed. 8 drives weigh about 10 pounds. Priority mail costs $18 if you are on the east side of the US, or $38 if you are on the other side. In the latter case, two large flat rate boxes are slightly cheaper ($36) and I can prolly cram some other junk such as SCSI ZIP drive. 🤣 Not sure if I can safely squeeze 8 drives in one large fate rate box.

EDIT:
I found UPS ground is cheaper for shipping heavy boxes coast to coast. A 10lbs package costs 20 bucks.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2017-01-25, 17:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 41, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
m1919 wrote:

I would take all your SCSI drives but the shipping will probably be a pain.

There are 10 in the picture and 2 of them are claimed. 8 drives weigh about 10 pounds. Priority mail costs $18 if you are on the east side of the US, or $38 if you are on the other side. In the latter case, two large flat rate boxes are slightly cheaper ($36) and I can prolly cram some other junk such as SCSI ZIP drive. 🤣 Not sure if I can safely squeeze 8 drives in one large fate rate box.

I'm in Canada, might be prohibitively expensive, 🤣.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 25 of 41, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
m1919 wrote:

I'm in Canada, might be prohibitively expensive, 🤣.

Filing customs forms is a real pain. 😵

Yeah not worth the time, I have plenty of drives right now.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 27 of 41, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IF I'm not using them or they are dead, we tear them down and harvest the magnets. We actually have cubicles made out of metal at work. all of tools are magneted to the wall and even some of our LCDs have ton of magnets glued to the back and are magneted to the wall. You may not see a need for them but, if you have limited space they are handy. Way easier to use than peg board, even the soldering iron, packing tape dispenser and power strips are magneted to the wall VERY handy.

Reply 28 of 41, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a ~500MB IDE drive? I'd love to slave it into my 486 build.

I also have a few 386's without HDDs, any <250 MB IDE drives as well?

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 29 of 41, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Best use for old hard drives"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM63nUaGgao

^_^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 41, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went to Cuba recently so I grabbed some old IDE 60-160 Gb and a couple SATA drives to "give away" - I was gonna trade them for cab fare, discounts on stuff, basically give them away - Customs said I had too many and seized them, saying I have to pay $50 for each drive. I laughed and said, "nah, you guys keep 'em, that's why I brought them." They let me keep one, which I exchanged for an hour long cab fare to my resort because the whole customs debacle cost us our shuttle trip. Guy did such a good job we hired him to take us all over a few days later and I gave his son my old netbook (NB 200) and he loved every minute of it.

I'm also making a clock out of one for my wife - I'll post pics when that's done.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 32 of 41, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazibayer wrote:
I don't want to sell them on eBay but I am willing to give them out for "free" for vogons, if anyone is OK with paying for shipp […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:
If you can't find a use for them and you don't want to sell them, then your only options are to trash them completely or keep th […]
Show full quote

If you can't find a use for them and you don't want to sell them, then your only options are to trash them completely or keep them forever. Not sure what you were expecting..?

If you don't like eBay, then you can try your local online classifieds (Craigslist or Kijiji or whatever it is you have).

I suppose in some cases there might be a market for the PCBs, as in http://www.hddzone.com/ , but probably not for such old drives.

Those super-powerful tiny magnets can be handy, but you can order those very cheaply from Asia and it would probably not be worth your time trying to salvage them.

For a good time, try flipping through Explorations in Data Destruction.

I don't want to sell them on eBay but I am willing to give them out for "free" for vogons, if anyone is OK with paying for shipping....
I also have a small pile of PCBs from dead and newer drives. I sold some of them because they are much easier to handle than the whole drive. I still have a bunch, mostly from 80~160GB WD BBs, 7200.7s, etc. Again I am willing to free them out, if anyone is interested...
Demolition sounds fun. Maybe they are good targets for ammunition testing.

Depends how much the shipping will be if you want to send them over seas or by airplane.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 34 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gg1978 wrote:

I'd be interested in the two DCAS 32160's if you're pretty sure they're in working shape.

Do you want me to do any particular tests on them?
They have 80pin connectors but I can't find any 80->68 converter so I just ordered one from ebay. Once it arrives I can tell you if they work.

Reply 35 of 41, by gg1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually do a Low Level Format using my adaptec SCSI card's BIOS, it's a pretty good test and will mark out any bad sectors the drives may have.. For IDE drive i use MHDD off the UBCD for checking disks for functionality.

Reply 36 of 41, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fired off a PM. I know you mentioned in your first post that a Apple 250MB SCSI was reserved, but I saw one of them in your picture?s Is that available, or was that one claimed? Either way, I am definitely interested in the Apple 700MB, and 1.6GB SCSI drives, and possibly other SCSI drive 50/68pin SCSI drives, if there are any available.

Reply 37 of 41, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gg1978 wrote:

I usually do a Low Level Format using my adaptec SCSI card's BIOS, it's a pretty good test and will mark out any bad sectors the drives may have.. For IDE drive i use MHDD off the UBCD for checking disks for functionality.

OK. Got it.

Reply 38 of 41, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any SCSI drives around a gig left? 1-2 gigs.

Also, I wouldn't mind having another ZIP drive - Almost all my systems have one except one. What do you want for it?

*edit Do you still have the slower of the two Apple SCSI CDROMs?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 39 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
These are all 3.5 inch drives from 250MB to 40GB. Most of them are IDE and the others are SCSI. I can't find good use for them a […]
Show full quote

These are all 3.5 inch drives from 250MB to 40GB. Most of them are IDE and the others are SCSI. I can't find good use for them and I am hesitant about selling them on ebay because I am too lazy to test them before spending efforts on making listings and the petty profits collected from strangers can't bring me enough thrill. Any ideas?

WechatIMG5.jpeg

-- update --

I have decided to free these drives to fellow vogons whoever are willing to pay for shipping expenses. One drive weighs about one and a quarter pounds and I live in 15213 so you can estimate the shipping cost.
The following drives have been gone for good:
Quantum Sirocco 1.6GB
Quantum EL 2.5GB
Maxtor 90680U2
2x IBM DCAS 32160 SCSI

The following drives have been reserved:
Apple 250MB SCSI
Quantum EX 6.4GB
Seagate Medalist
Quantum Viking II 9.1GB
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB

The following drives have ascended to electronic heaven:
Quantum SE 4.0GB
Quantum 700MB SCSI
IBM DNES 309170

-- update --
Found some more storage devices from my old apple scrapyard. Anyone interested?

WechatIMG1.jpeg
WechatIMG2.jpeg
WechatIMG3.jpeg
WechatIMG4.jpeg

One IDE ZIP100, one SCSI ZIP100, two IDE ZIP250, one 20pin floppy, one Jaz 1GB drive with power cord and external SCSI cable, two SCSI CDROM drives (one CR-506-C 8x, one XM-6201B 32x).

The SCSI drives would make a nice period correct option, when dealing with something like a 386 or 486.
Only if they are between 4500 and 5400 RPM. Faster drives might produce too much heat (I am thinking 10K RPM).
Keep all 3000 to 5400/7200 SCSI drives, keep some of the 250 to 512mb IDE's, and sell the rest.
Keep stuff like ZIP drives and other obscure drives. You might want to play around with them at some point.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011