VOGONS

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired a IBM XT motherboard which has dozens of little yellow wires running all over it. Is this some sort of mod?

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0041.jpg
    File size
    1.89 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obaltus wrote:

Hello,

No, these are last minutes wiring which might weaken the motherboard.

Not entirely sure what the hell you're talking about.

As I said in your other post (What happened to that anyways?) it's bodge wiring. Back when the XT was being designed, re spinning

boards was incredibly expensive, so in the event they missed a few connections, they would have connected those wires together in

order to make it stable and/or work. As long as the board is working, there is no worries, but I suggest taking a picture of where they \

all go in the event one detaches or is damaged so you can repair it.

Another way to tell it's a bodge, is that if it was a mod, nobody totally friggin insane enough to mod an XT board wouldn't have wire management, period.

Reply 3 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aha, so that's it. Board works fine. I tested it with the Advanced Diagnostics disk and it has no problems. No BIOS message at POST though. Is this normal for PC and PC/XTs? How do I see the BIOS version?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Aha, so that's it. Board works fine. I tested it with the Advanced Diagnostics disk and it has no problems. No BIOS message at POST though. Is this normal for PC and PC/XTs? How do I see the BIOS version?

Bodge wiring get more common the simpler, and yet the more complicated it gets. I've never seen an IBM PC with this, but it happens to most boards.

If you have real questions about Electronic Engineering, you can check out the EEVBlog forums, where I also post on occasion.

Reply 6 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The IBM diagnostic program reports:

ROS P/N: 1501512
ROS Date: 11/08/82

I assume this is the BIOS version and date? What does ROS stand for?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like to test memory of all computers that come to me. Normally I use memtest86 but I don't think it works with such old hardware.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

I like to test memory of all computers that come to me. Normally I use memtest86 but I don't think it works with such old hardware.

You know, a hardware test might be better. For other computers like the Commodore/Apple/Atari 8 bit machines, no memory testing software really was available that I know of, and none to the extent of what you may be looking for.

Reply 12 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it safe to mount full length cards in the bottom slot, right next to the speaker? The speaker is almost touching the card. If it does touch, could anything bad happen?

Is this too much voodoo?