VOGONS

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I picked up a couple of Evergreen Spectra III 600 which is really just a Cyrix III 600Mhz....I think a Samuel 2 core because it's got 128k of L1 cache and is 1.5volts.

I have a lot of interest in upgrade processors like the Evergreen and Pentirum Overdrive CPUs and others. Not because of their performance I just find them unique and interesting. Most upgrade processors enable you to put a newer CPU into an older motherboard that didn't normally support that CPU much of the time including a voltage regulator on an adapter PCB of some kind that sits in between the CPU and the socket. I am getting the impression however that this is basically just a regular Cyrix/VIA CPU put in an evergreen box. The only thing that appears to be special about it is it talks about being able to run at multiple FSBs and multipliers to suit so it's obviously unlocked. Does anyone have any experience with these guys, either these specific Evergreen branded C3s or C3s in general? Some benchmarks I've seen would indicating I should expect Celeron 300-366 performance out of this guy. Ive also read that similar tricks that work for the K62+/3+ in slowing it down work for these guys.

If you run these what kinda Motherboard/Chipset do you run?