VOGONS

places to buy old hardware?

Topic actions

First post, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Obviously we have eBay, but these sellers are getting kinda out there with some of their prices, Craigslist is pretty useless, and I'm kinda surprised we don't have a buy/sell section of the fourm.

So are there any places, forums, facebook groups you guys could recommend?

Tl:Dr I'm wanting a Asus cubs-e, and eBay made me salty.

Reply 3 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, our local recyclers won't let us snag gear once it's past their doors. They're party poopers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 37, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Unfortunately, our local recyclers won't let us snag gear once it's past their doors. They're party poopers.

It's the same here 🙁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

90% of all thrift stores here in Denmark, have a special agreement with recyclers from poland and other former "eastern" countries.
Other than that, I can only say that I find some gear/hardware, on the Danish online trading places.
I have bought a couple of items through Amibay as well. Other than that, it is mostly eBay and various forum's all over.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 37, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Within EU it's mostly regulations that forbid "junk" from being sold or given back to consumers. Once something is deemed recyclable there is a process where it gets torn to bits and all the metal, plastic etc. is reused. I'm sure the people working there would be willing to give it away, but they'd be in tons of trouble if it was found out that by doing so they were breaking the EU environmental laws.

I also understand that it's not really a feasible thing to save dozens of old computers just in case someone interested in them comes around. I have left my number at the local recycling that if they ever get old computers to give me a call, they never phone. I go there few times a year to ask if they have anything interesting and then rummage around the warehouse to pick up what I need. Rarely they have anything from the 90's.

Reply 7 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:

Within EU it's mostly regulations that forbid "junk" from being sold or given back to consumers. Once something is deemed recyclable there is a process where it gets torn to bits and all the metal, plastic etc. is reused. I'm sure the people working there would be willing to give it away, but they'd be in tons of trouble if it was found out that by doing so they were breaking the EU environmental laws.

I also understand that it's not really a feasible thing to save dozens of old computers just in case someone interested in them comes around. I have left my number at the local recycling that if they ever get old computers to give me a call, they never phone. I go there few times a year to ask if they have anything interesting and then rummage around the warehouse to pick up what I need. Rarely they have anything from the 90's.

The idea's wich those regulations are based on, is actually a good thing. It's a great idea as such, when stuff is broken and not repairable. You know... Dead tv's, dead smartphones and so on. It is not so great an idea, when we are talking about fully working stuff, that are used for hobby.

Well..... What can one do. Our hobby is a small nieche-hobby.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make friends with someone who used to have a computer repair business in the 90s and still has their old inventory in storage.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 37, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

AMIBay, Vintage Computer Forum, thrift stores

All the thrift stores in my area are garbage. They are all good will and saint vincent's. It's like they don't even take computers anymore or something.

It really pisses me off how LGR can just go out and find a bunch of crap and post it on youtube 😒

There used to be a store in Madison (WI), they would buy / sell and had lots of old crap. Looked like they were doing good cause they moved to a bigger location, but now I can't find them anymore

Reply 10 of 37, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Well..... What can one do. Our hobby is a small nieche-hobby.

Not just our hobby, it's also killing most of the electronics/engineering learning process. A recycling center is a wet dream for any kid who's interested in technical stuff (or should be). Oh well, collateral damage, go buy your stuff from China where they still mine for parts.

My current sources for parts are the local bay clones and on weekends I tend to spend the mornings at the two local flea markets.

Reply 11 of 37, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

Make friends with someone who used to have a computer repair business in the 90s and still has their old inventory in storage.

This. Schools and workplaces are good to.

Reply 12 of 37, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thrift stores in my area do not take computers. It's literally their policy now (I've phoned and asked around) 🙁

They also refuse/throw away electronics older than the 90's era (though this seems to finally be changing...I think they realized nobody wants all these wal-mart DVD players)

Neco wrote:

It really pisses me off how LGR can just go out and find a bunch of crap and post it on youtube 😒

His LGR Thrifts videos make me super jealous. At least he uses the camera glasses so I can pretend it's me 😀

Reply 16 of 37, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I personally stay on the lookout for closing down/moving businesses, especially the small family owned ones. Sometimes they are happy to give me whatever they don't want, sometimes I have to pay -- which I only do if it's something I want.

Also, dumpster diving around work. Lots of businesses throwing things out all the time there.

I only use eBay, amibay and the like when I'm after something specific that I can't find elsewhere.

I've also seen some fairly obscure PC parts on Aliexpress including 3dfx cards, dual socket 370 boards and a whole bunch of other things but that site just comes with risks of its own.

Reply 17 of 37, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I post topics on local Facebook trade communities, including the ones which deal with real vintage things - like cameras, XIX age watches, silverware, jewels etc - i write like "of course old computers for most of people - it's a kind of junk, but for me they are items of great value, so MAYBE you have them GATHERING DUST at your attics, in garage, at your "dacha" (country cottage) " ... Using that strategy I found many interesting pieces of hardware like IBM PC 5150 ot Commodore 128, Amstrad XT clone, etc... ALso there are communities like "I want to give/make present of something I dont' need" ...

Reply 18 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another option: if you do any type of computer repair either on the side or as a living, and you're helping out elderly customers, ask them if they have old computers they'd consider trading in lieu of payment. It seems that elderly folks quite often hold onto old computers longer than younger generations.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 19 of 37, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Another option: if you do any type of computer repair either on the side or as a living, and you're helping out elderly customers, ask them if they have old computers they'd consider trading in lieu of payment. It seems that elderly folks quite often hold onto old computers longer than younger generations.

I used to do computer repair when I was younger and would do this a lot!