VOGONS

First post, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few months ago Dad and I sat with an old family friend of ours for some good 'ole Texas BBQ. During the conversation I mentioned my new hobby of vintage computers and he mentions having one in his garage! I met up with him the other day and received the latest addition to my stable (or is it a harem?). My second Gateway 2000 branded machine with the specs of a Pentium 120, floppy, CD, soundblaster, a PCI video card, 1.5GB hard drive, Windows 95, and...a DAT tape drive? That's the first one of those I have seen since my work server back in the late '90s. I don't know if I should pull it and replace it with a spacer or keep it as-is. Another oddity is that the CPU has only a heatsink for cooling, it is not actively cooled with anything but a dust clogged case fan. I have some questions that have been kicking around it my head:

Should I worry about replacing the CPU thermal past after all of these years? Initial research is leaning towards a 'no' unless the heatsink is removed.

Should I add an active cooling fan to the CPU? Any good for sale links?

Should I pair this with a 3dfx Banshee or upgrade the PCI video card to something more along the lines of an ATI Rage II?

Is there a Vogons approved top games list separated by CPU? From memory Quake, Tomb Raider, Duke Nukem 3-D, and Descent would be ideal on this hardware. I am always looking for new fun games to play that I might not know about.

Reply 1 of 4, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should I worry about replacing the CPU thermal past after all of these years? Initial research is leaning towards a 'no' unless the heatsink is removed.

Should I add an active cooling fan to the CPU? Any good for sale links?

Yes, replace the thermal paste.
as for the CPU cooler you should be fine with passive, you could add a fan to it if you wanted, or even replace it altogether if you wanted.

Should I pair this with a 3dfx Banshee or upgrade the PCI video card to something more along the lines of an ATI Rage II?

Is there a Vogons approved top games list separated by CPU? From memory Quake, Tomb Raider, Duke Nukem 3-D, and Descent would be ideal on this hardware. I am always looking for new fun games to play that I might not know about.

If there's an AGP slot a banshee would be a great idea as it'll deal with both 2D and 3D.

I found Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and Tomb Raider all struggled on a Pentium 120 when going for 640x480, lower resolutions were fine though, I didn't try Descent on my Pentium 120 so I'm not sure how that performs. Quake has no 3D acceleration in DOS as far as i know so is CPU and 2D card bound, is better played under Windows 95/98 with via GLQuake.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ifkz wrote:

Banshees don't get paired and Rage II isn't an "upgrade" from that 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It needs a treatment of retrobrite (or a dunking in peroxide) but I would be happy to take a few pictures of this and all of my machines. Still flipping coins over whether the PCI Banshee should go with this Pentium or the K6. The main project on my to do list is my Voodoo2 SLI rig, no excuses for me to not go for it this weekend!