VOGONS

First post, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I came across two vintage PCs from a local office.

One of them had a Biostar MB-8500UUR-A socket 5 motherboard with a 90MHz Pentium and 8mb of ram. It works but the battery in the RTC chip has died and it is the dreaded soldered in type. I was able to boot the original install of DOS and Win 3.11.

The problem is I can barely find any information about this board. From the silk screens it has 1mb of cache and supports up to a Pentium 100 (Which I do have). I would like to replace the RTC chip and use it but all the tantalum capacitors worry me and I'm not sure if this board is worth the hassle of replacing the chip.

What's you alls opinion on this board? Does it seem like a solid base for a Pentium class DOS box with a S3 virge and voodoo 1? Does it seem like a super budget type board?

IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1194.JPG

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 2 of 5, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is this a decent board for Win95/DOS? Is the chipset a good one?

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 3 of 5, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know its stability and compatibility. Performance-wise it's sufficient for DOS and 95, and should be able to scale down by disabling the caches. It's just not good for anything demands p6 class performance. There are two jumpers for FSB so the last combination might give you either 40 or 75 FSB.

Reply 4 of 5, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gatewayuser200 wrote:

So is this a decent board for Win95/DOS? Is the chipset a good one?

Not sure about the chipset, but a voodoo/s3/Pentium combo is really great - good overall compatibility and games from w95/late DOS era will run smooth and you shouldn't run into many speed problems (and should this happen, you can always disable L2 cache and underclock). 3D games like Quake and older will run perfectly on this.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 5 of 5, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys! I didn't get all the information I wanted but at least I know I can make a nice DOS/95 box with it.