VOGONS

First post, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am attempting to get an old version of steam for Windows 98SE in hopes that it still supports the protocols needed to download and unlock games.

I think the reasons for doing this is obvious, I don't have to risk my ass on torrent sites trying to get cracked versions of games I already own so I can use them on my machine.

Any ideas where I may find such installer?

Reply 1 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 2004 version on my original Half Life 2 dvd's.
Try looking on some old game install discs first.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

see if this works

You will have to rename the files to steam.zip.001 and steam.zip.002 then extract with 7zip

Attachments

• Filename
    steam002.zip
    File size
    2.17 MiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    steam001.zip
    File size
    3 MiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

I am attempting to get an old version of steam for Windows 98SE in hopes that it still supports the protocols needed to download and unlock games.

I think the reasons for doing this is obvious, I don't have to risk my ass on torrent sites trying to get cracked versions of games I already own so I can use them on my machine.

You'll likely have greater risk just browsing the internet without an ad blocker.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
Ampera wrote:

You'll likely have greater risk just browsing the internet without an ad blocker.

I only intend to have steam connected long enough to restore from a backup I already have and to activate the game.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This app will likely force an installation of an updated version witch will not work. Why not just download the stuff on a newer system and copy it over?

Reply 9 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An old steam won't help either. It will *always* update and Valve will not serve the older builds of Half-Life 2 games anymore.

also the 2004 install media won't help you either - that's encrypted and will update Steam ASAP anyway.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 11, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Cracking a game is not illegal anymore. You are allowed to use mods that prevent the software from requiring acces to end of life (not supported anymore) websites for unlocking/registration a game or circumventing mandatory acces to a disk or Internet for non multilayer acces. This ofcourse only applies if you have a legal version of the software you want use (this is not considered piracy). Any act of editing game files is usually not supported by developers and may result in restricted online acces in the future of course.