VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I'm testing this Athlon 64 X2 5200+ the 0,65u version with 2x512Kb L2 cache on an MCP61 Nvidia chipset. Until now I'm quiet impressed by the general speed and relative low power required (43W idle 120W on dual load). Coming from a Barton 3200+ is quiet night and day the difference.
What do you think about this cpu? I'm testing it with the Radeon R5 230. Is it the right cpu for a not extremely power requiring AM2 config?
Thank

Reply 1 of 6, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah I use a similar processor for my media center. It think it may be a generation or two above, but it's quite similar in specifications. I mean it's right on the fringe of what most people consider retro. Some people don't even consider some later Pentium 4s in the category. I think even a computer from 5 years ago has a certain replicable set of technology that includes it's own niche set of games.

But as said, I use it as a modern (Not everyday, but modern) computer as a HTPC (Even though I never touch it)

Reply 2 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:

Hah I use a similar processor for my media center. It think it may be a generation or two above, but it's quite similar in specifications. I mean it's right on the fringe of what most people consider retro. Some people don't even consider some later Pentium 4s in the category. I think even a computer from 5 years ago has a certain replicable set of technology that includes it's own niche set of games.

But as said, I use it as a modern (Not everyday, but modern) computer as a HTPC (Even though I never touch it)

Usually I would not consider this generation cause I always considered up the Socket 462 but lately my KT600 motherboard have some problem and can't go on after the ram count. 🙁
So I decided to use this AM2 cpu, tried the Sempron 3200+ and now this. Considering the dual core SSE3 2,7Ghz cpu it obviously eat the Barton even if I admire that cpu to be still usable today on modern (not 3D) usage with fastest ram and an ssd.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Usually I would not consider this generation cause I always considered up the Socket 462 but lately my KT600 motherboard have some problem and can't go on after the ram count. 🙁
So I decided to use this AM2 cpu, tried the Sempron 3200+ and now this. Considering the dual core SSE3 2,7Ghz cpu it obviously eat the Barton even if I admire that cpu to be still usable today on modern (not 3D) usage with fastest ram and an ssd.

I hope for your sake you're not using an Abit KV7-V. Mine was an uttermost terrible board to deal with. Even a BIOS flash didn't solve its fantastic crashability.
From hindsight though it may have been the CPU. Or the board was simply a dud.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
386SX wrote:
Ampera wrote:

I hope for your sake you're not using an Abit KV7-V. Mine was an uttermost terrible board to deal with. Even a BIOS flash didn't solve its fantastic crashability.

It's a K7Upgrade-600 board that always ran really good but now it stop after the ram count and don't check the disks. I changed cpu and same thing. I'll try more tests on it but not having other systems running I built this one and I admit it's quiet fast even if too much modern for me. Soon I'll receive another corsair xms2 800 2GB memory to try a dual channel.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

It's a K7Upgrade-600 board that always ran really good but now it stop after the ram count and don't check the disks. I changed cpu and same thing. I'll try more tests on it but not having other systems running I built this one and I admit it's quiet fast even if too much modern for me. Soon I'll receive another corsair xms2 800 2GB memory to try a dual channel.

Except for changing the CPU, have you tried basic troubleshooting? So no IDE devices and as few other parts as possible.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
386SX wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Except for changing the CPU, have you tried basic troubleshooting? So no IDE devices and as few other parts as possible.

Not yet but I'll be back on it soon to test which is the cause. I updated the bios lately but everything worked good since the last reboot where it stay on the memory check and nothing go on.

By the way the ram arrived and now Dual channel ok on DDR2-800 5-5-5-18. A cheap "modern" system with a recent R5 vga and 4GB of ram. Not bad until I'll downgrade again as usual. 😁