VOGONS

First post, by Taylor7108

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I just completed a 486 build and am running pure MS-DOS 6.22. When playing point and click adventures and games like Ultima Underworld, my mouse scrolls extremely slowly and is basically worthless. I am using an old serial Microsoft mouse and mouse.com drivers. It has been so long since I have worked in DOS...is there a way to adjust the mouse sensitivity by editing the configuration, or is this all handled by individual applications?

Are there any workarounds you might recommend?

Current Build: 486 DX2 66 / 16MB RAM / 2GB CF / CL5428 VLB 1MB / Aztech 2316 Sound / DOS 6.22

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Taylor7108 wrote:

When playing point and click adventures and games like Ultima Underworld, my mouse scrolls extremely slowly and is basically worthless.

So you have observed this behavior in multiple applications?

is there a way to adjust the mouse sensitivity by editing the configuration

Usually, but I cannot recall what the parameters are for mouse.com. Many people prefer to use ctmouse, which consumes less memory.

Or your mouse might just be dirty.

Reply 2 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, use ctmouse. It uses a lot less memory, and ctmouse /? actually gives you the command line options which mouse.com refuses to do 😒

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It almost sounds like the ball is not rolling smoothly (I'm assuming a ball mouse). Have you removed the ball and cleaned it and the wheels inside?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 4, by Taylor7108

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your replies!

The mouse ball and wheels are clean. I don't feel much resistance when rolling. I have noticed this slow movement in Ultima Underworld, Fate of Atlantis and Rex Nebular. This is a new build, so I haven't had a chance to try many more games. I will try running ctmouse this evening and see if that changes things!

Current Build: 486 DX2 66 / 16MB RAM / 2GB CF / CL5428 VLB 1MB / Aztech 2316 Sound / DOS 6.22