VOGONS

First post, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have a hp zx5000 with a p4 3ghz 533mhz mobile with out ht. i want to put a cpu in it with ht. instead im buying one i have alot of dell desktops with a p4 2.8ghz 533mhz with ht.

will the p4 fit right in? i know it will run hotter but the heat sinks in these are pretty beefy. Ony thing tho there is no option in bios for ht but these machines did come with ones that are ht.

Will ht just be enabled on its own?

Reply 1 of 17, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most likely not. Only real way to find out is to try it or search google the results of other's experiments. I know the 3.06/1/533 ht chip i pulled out of a laptop works on some desktop motherboards and doesnt in others.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 17, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have to pile on a "Most Likely Not"

If you do, you will need at least an adapter, but the caveat is that most laptop chipsets and/or BIOS programs do NOT support desktop processors for obvious reasons.

Reply 4 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Pentium 4 laptops used a standard desktop style 478 proc as the mobile style pentium 4s without the IHS only topped out at 2.6ghz before the power consumption got to the point it was matching desktop pentium 4s. The only difference could possibly be that those used in laptops had two multiplier states that was controlled by the chipset which was Intel's way of doing things before the Pentium M and Core days.

Fun fact you can run mobile style pentium 4s that do not have the ihs in desktop boards however the cpu will not be in the higher multiplier state and will be in low state only having 12x. Back in the day those who wanted something different and to take advantage of high clocking boards would use them while keeping the power consumption down.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 17, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My dad once bought a Sony Vaio laptop with a desktop P4 in it. I don't remember the model, but it was the loudest laptop I've ever heard. It had a huge vent that constantly pumped out a current of warm air.

Reply 6 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I once knew a guy with a Sager DTR notebook that had desktop Northwood era hardware. Incredibly annoying blower cooling noise similar to a hair dryer that turns on and off. Any notebook from those days that needs to dump ~70W waste power is probably going to be annoying.

I bought a Athlon 64 DTR notebook in early 2004 that had a Clawhammer CPU with desktop voltage. That's the same class of power consumption. It at least had dual blowers. A bit quieter but definitely not quiet. Again had the annoying on/off cycle behavior.

Reply 7 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Were any of these P4 desktop-in-laptop systems actually considered stable platforms? I recall Intel releasing the Pentium M because of this overheating fiasco.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They work fine. There's just an excess of heat for the form factor. And the cooling was just not designed well from a noise perspective.

Today there are many gaming notebooks that deal with even more heat. And there are some that use desktop CPUs. Today though some companies rely on thermal throttling to allow them to use inadequate cooling. Some machines are not designed with sustained high utilization mind. Or, another way to look at it, you have something like the MS Surface that gives you bursts of speed but simply can not sustain that indefinitely in the tablet form factor.

Reply 10 of 17, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

all laptop Pentium 4s used the same socket 478 as the desktop counterpart, they are pin compatible, electically compatible and physically compatible (Pentium M is not physically compatible with desktop Socket 478), but on desktop boards they might not work or boot on the low power model and you would be locked at 1.2-1.6 ghz (Northwood) or 1.86 ghz (Prescott). I have a mobile P4 3.06 GHz HT Northwood i pulled from a dead laptop and tried in multiple desktop P4 boards. it worked with almost all boards i have except for the AsRock P4i65G which refused to boot. But on the working boards, i can't get it running higher than 1.6 GHz. I believe mobile P4 based Celerons won't have the issue since they lack StepSpeed

The boards i tried the mobile P4 and got it working are:
ASUS P4S800
ASUS P4P800
ASUS P4B533
QDI Platinix 2E/333
MSI PT8 Neo

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 11 of 17, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm thanks guys:) So pretty much it wont hurt to try too see what it does? Don't want it to short something out. Just figured sense i have them why not try it to see what it does.

The non ht p4s are such a pigs. Cant even stream music while browsing the net with out the music skipping.. Even tho the cpu % isn't at 100% when its doing it..

About a year ago we had a dell optiplex p4 2.8ghz with ht still going in the kitchen and had no issues streaming music and browsing the net and even watching 480p you tube. and was running windows 7 too. This machine struggles pretty hard which has xp. But i guess because its not the ht model?

Oh i also have a dell 9300 laptop pretty much a m170 cause back than i put in a 7800gtx and upgraded it to 2gb of ram too. And that also struggles like the p4 with out ht.. Music does skip sometimes and cant even watch any you tube on that anymore... Still plays older dx9 games tho perfect tho.

Reply 12 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gordesky1 wrote:
Hmm thanks guys:) So pretty much it wont hurt to try too see what it does? Don't want it to short something out. Just figu […]
Show full quote

Hmm thanks guys:) So pretty much it wont hurt to try too see what it does? Don't want it to short something out. Just figured sense i have them why not try it to see what it does.

The non ht p4s are such a pigs. Cant even stream music while browsing the net with out the music skipping.. Even tho the cpu % isn't at 100% when its doing it..

About a year ago we had a dell optiplex p4 2.8ghz with ht still going in the kitchen and had no issues streaming music and browsing the net and even watching 480p you tube. and was running windows 7 too. This machine struggles pretty hard which has xp. But i guess because its not the ht model?

Oh i also have a dell 9300 laptop pretty much a m170 cause back than i put in a 7800gtx and upgraded it to 2gb of ram too. And that also struggles like the p4 with out ht.. Music does skip sometimes and cant even watch any you tube on that anymore... Still plays older dx9 games tho perfect tho.

That Inspiron 9300 is one of my favorite laptops and even now I still consider it a decent machine enough to own four of them, Pentium M does fine provided one isn't doing the latest quality when it comes to content but overall the 9300 was one of the last large media laptops that had decent audio quality. DX9 gaming though makes them Nice for current and future retro gaming, can even run 98 but only with the ati x300.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 17, by tankkillerCSM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an HP Pavilion zd7000 with a 3ghz Pentium 4 Prescott. Thing supports up to a 3.4ghz standard, 3.2 HT, or 3.2 extreme edition. (All desktop models) The thing has a 135 watt adapter on it, which can barely handle the laptop itself and gets hot enough that you really don't want to touch it, and it produces enough heat to heat my whole bedroom. Weighs 9.3 lbs. It's also about 2 inches thick in some parts, due to the cooling system.

When in doubt, throw a couple Xeons at it.

Reply 14 of 17, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

That Inspiron 9300 is one of my favorite laptops and even now I still consider it a decent machine enough to own four of them, Pentium M does fine provided one isn't doing the latest quality when it comes to content but overall the 9300 was one of the last large media laptops that had decent audio quality. DX9 gaming though makes them Nice for current and future retro gaming, can even run 98 but only with the ati x300.

Yep the speakers and the small sub is awesome:) Been a great laptop to me even tho it got really hot back than in long gaming sessions mainly because of the 7800gtx.. The coating under it came off and shows silver but still works today.

Today laptops just have these small tin sounding speakers:( Tho i do say hps dv7 6000 series with beats audio sounds great too:) Bought mine new in 2011 and it has 4 speakers 2 above the keyboard and 2 in front and a small sub on the bottom.

Those 2 laptops has the best speakers i ever herd out of a laptop!

Got a asus g50vt x5 too great laptop but wow the speakers sucks so bad on it... Now this hp zx5000 with the dock attach to it sounds really great too which at the moment that's how i have to power the laptop threw cause i lost the ac adapter...

But yea they don't make laptops like they used too that's for sure.. heck pretty much like everything else out there now adays 🤣..

So its normal for the Pentium m to struggle on you tube too? I know the p4 with ht does fine on it but yea it has ht to help it out.

Reply 15 of 17, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update! took the p4 out of the dell desktop and turns out its a 3ghz with ht so same speed. After getting both cpus unstuck from the heatsink cause they came out with the heatsink attached... pop the cpu from the dell in the laptop which fits perfect put new thermal paste on.

And the laptop booted right up and detects the cpu with the right speed 3ghz and with ht:)

Now the sound or the laptop skip while browsing the net with music streaming! also tried youtube and it plays perfect if you dont go full screen on some videos. and for some reason it runs cooler with the desktop cpu 🤣

Feels like a whole different laptop now.

The weird thing is it mustve been a 800mhz fsb cause cpuz shows that now instead of 533 like the old cpu did.

These laptops are pretty decent and well made.

Tip... replace all older computers thermal paste... stuff was like super glue...

Reply 16 of 17, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gordesky1 wrote:
Update! took the p4 out of the dell desktop and turns out its a 3ghz with ht so same speed. After getting both cpus unstuck fr […]
Show full quote

Update! took the p4 out of the dell desktop and turns out its a 3ghz with ht so same speed. After getting both cpus unstuck from the heatsink cause they came out with the heatsink attached... pop the cpu from the dell in the laptop which fits perfect put new thermal paste on.

And the laptop booted right up and detects the cpu with the right speed 3ghz and with ht:)

Now the sound or the laptop skip while browsing the net with music streaming! also tried youtube and it plays perfect if you dont go full screen on some videos. and for some reason it runs cooler with the desktop cpu 🤣

Feels like a whole different laptop now.

The weird thing is it mustve been a 800mhz fsb cause cpuz shows that now instead of 533 like the old cpu did.

These laptops are pretty decent and well made.

Tip... replace all older computers thermal paste... stuff was like super glue...

What is the laptop model and the S-Spec of the old P4?

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems