VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my first AT system today. The mouse is PS2 but the kyaboard isn't and I own zero AT keyboards and I'm not sure how to go about adapting my Dell AT101 (mechanical PS2 with Black Alps switch's) keyboard to AT.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2N018-Keyboard … 6/dp/B00000J1UA

Been looking at that but I'm not sure if there is any signal conversion that would need to be done or if PS2 keyboards are AT compatible signal wise.

Can anyone help me figure this out.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No signal conversion as long as the keyboard isn't pulling a significant amount of current (as Model M keyboards sometimes do).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 33, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

No signal conversion as long as the keyboard isn't pulling a significant amount of current (as Model M keyboards sometimes do).

I wouldn't think my relatively run-of-the-mill Dell AT101 would draw an obscene amount of power (nor would I have the slightest idea how to check if it did or not)

Anyways thank for the input. I'll be buying one of those adapters in the next day or so I guess.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4 of 33, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Got my first AT system today. The mouse is PS2 but the kyaboard isn't and I own zero AT keyboards and I'm not sure how to go abo […]
Show full quote

Got my first AT system today. The mouse is PS2 but the kyaboard isn't and I own zero AT keyboards and I'm not sure how to go about adapting my Dell AT101 (mechanical PS2 with Black Alps switch's) keyboard to AT.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2N018-Keyboard … 6/dp/B00000J1UA

Been looking at that but I'm not sure if there is any signal conversion that would need to be done or if PS2 keyboards are AT compatible signal wise.

Can anyone help me figure this out.

Can I ask how you would rate it versus buckling spring keyboards like Model M etc.

Reply 5 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That adapter will work fine for any PS/2 keyboard. The AT standard has a higher current rating than PS/2, meaning you can run that perfectly fine without any power or signalling issues. 0 translation required. The issues is when you go from AT to PS/2 for newer machines. Some keyboards won't have enough power to operate properly.

Reply 6 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, I was probably thinking of USB adapters which can sometimes be underpowered for more... robust keyboards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 33, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That adapter will work, but with keyboard's plug added it will be bulky and could break your PC's socket if you accidentally hit it or pull the cable to the side. I would recommend one that has two plugs connected with a short piece of cable.

Reply 8 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote:

That adapter will work, but with keyboard's plug added it will be bulky and could break your PC's socket if you accidentally hit it or pull the cable to the side. I would recommend one that has two plugs connected with a short piece of cable.

This is my preferred method also.

These adapters are indeed only a mechanical thingy, they are not like how serial and PS/2 mouse adapters work (the mouse will have to have interna support or these adapters will not work).

I've never had any problem using PS/2 keyboards on AT boards and apparently I was lucky I never killed a PS/2 port by using a DIN type keyboard.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
This is my preferred method also. […]
Show full quote
Azarien wrote:

This is my preferred method also.

These adapters are indeed only a mechanical thingy, they are not like how serial and PS/2 mouse adapters work (the mouse will have to have interna support or these adapters will not work).

I've never had any problem using PS/2 keyboards on AT boards and apparently I was lucky I never killed a PS/2 port by using a DIN type keyboard.

It's impossible to kill a PS/2 port by trying to draw more current than it can output. It's all current limited, and it won't blow anything. Unless the AT keyboard is busted somehow, all you will get is no or intermittent performance.

Reply 11 of 33, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never, ever, EVER use hard adapters like that.

Doubling the length of the plug on the connector means that there will be MUCH more force on the connector if you tug even slightly on the wire, or if you (or someone else) pushes the machine too close to the wall. If you so much as look at the thing funny, it'll break the DIN connector right off your motherboard.

You can buy 4-6 inch long flexible adapters for just about any hard adapter you can get, and this is ALWAYS the way to go. The one linked in the previous post is one such example.

This also includes those DVI->VGA adapters that were so common for a few years. Never use one of those, either, even though you probably have a hundred of the things. Don't even use them temporarily.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 12 of 33, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:
Never, ever, EVER use hard adapters like that. […]
Show full quote

Doubling the length of the plug on the connector means that there will be MUCH more force on the connector if you tug even slightly on the wire, or if you (or someone else) pushes the machine too close to the wall. If you so much as look at the thing funny, it'll break the DIN connector right off your motherboard.

You can buy 4-6 inch long flexible adapters for just about any hard adapter you can get, and this is ALWAYS the way to go. The one linked in the previous post is one such example.

This also includes those DVI->VGA adapters that were so common for a few years. Never use one of those, either, even though you probably have a hundred of the things. Don't even use them temporarily.

On the motherboard. My DIN connector is part of the case and connected to a header on the motherboard. Is that unusual?

Reply 13 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:
Never, ever, EVER use hard adapters like that. […]
Show full quote

You're talking like they will fvck up your machine instantly. I used to use the DVI to VGA adapters and never had the a problem BECAUSE I NEVER MOVED MY MONITOR AROUND LIKE CRAZY

Same with my keyboard, I tend not to pick it up and fling it all around.

Mice is another case, if you are going to use a mouse, then you might consider a cabled adapter, but these adapters aren't going to mess anything up instantly. And if the OP's connector is on the case (Weird, I've never seen that) then it's going to be fine.

The thing is that these ports tend to have good strain relief. The DIN connectors are very good with this, and DSUB/DB connectors like DVI, VGA, RS-232, Centronics, etc. are GREAT with this. It's VERY hard to break one of these off, and you'd need to REALLY wrench your cables on them to do any damage.

Reply 14 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use the adapter.

It's a total no-brainer. Unless you're an idiot, you're not going to be yanking on your keyboard cable for crying out loud.

I use these things all the time and have never had a single problem.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 33, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I work IT. People break these things all the time. I even have to replace network cables because people jam their computers up against the wall that hard, even when I repeatedly tell them to stop doing so. I've had other people in my home and have had them break things by bumping into stuff. And I love dogs, but they have also broken PC stuff on me. It costs $3 to buy the proper adapter. Do not listen to the 2 posts above. They are disagreeing with me just because they can. Seriously, just get the proper SAFE adapter. I'm NOT claiming that you'll break your motherboard instantly, but I am absolutely claiming that it could happen at any time. And yes I have specifically had an AT keyboard port break on a mobo before (only once for that type of port but I've broken DVI ports and 3.5mm audio jacks as well).

Throw any hard adapter in the garbage (or use the hard adapter with an AT extension cable so that it's in the middle of the cord and not right on your motherboard).

"I've never had a problem" is always useless anecdotal evidence. You can literally find people saying that about anything. Even Chrysler cars. If you think that's proper advice, please don't give advice. I'm honestly not trying to sound mean here, but if people are going to shoot down good advice just because they've "never had a problem," that's not a valid argument and I'm calling you out on it.

Edit: Look at them scramble to respond to me with more non-arguments, as if I were somehow trying to make these hard adapters illegal or something. Geez. Imagine them doing that in other threads. "I have a Trident card and it works for me so stop saying that Tseng or s3 or CL are better." I wonder if they actually do that as well.

Look, accidents happen, sometimes we don't have space to put these things where nobody else (and no pets) can access them, the adapters can be had for the same price, and the OP was asking about buying one, not using one already owned. I honestly don't know what point any of you are trying to make. Minimize your risk and buy the right adapter. You can all use whatever you like but it's an absolute fact that the flexible adapters are better.

Even if you never knock your computer into the wall, why make it require a ton of clearance anyway so you can put it closer and still not break it?

Last edited by kenrouholo on 2017-02-15, 23:15. Edited 4 times in total.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 16 of 33, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:

I work IT. People break these things all the time. I even have to replace network cables because people jam their computers up against the wall that hard, even when I repeatedly tell them to stop doing so. I've had other people in my home and have had them break things by bumping into stuff. And I love dogs, but they have also broken PC stuff on me. It costs $3 to buy the proper adapter. Do not listen to the 2 posts above. They are disagreeing with me just because they can. Seriously, just get the proper SAFE adapter. I'm NOT claiming that you'll break your motherboard instantly, but I am absolutely claiming that it could happen at any time. And yes I have specifically had an AT keyboard port break on a mobo before (only once for that type of port but I've broken DVI ports and 3.5mm audio jacks as well).

Throw any hard adapter in the garbage (or use the hard adapter with an AT extension cable so that it's in the middle of the cord and not right on your motherboard).

"I've never had a problem" is always useless anecdotal evidence. You can literally find people saying that about anything. Even Chrysler cars. If you think that's proper advice, please don't give advice. I'm honestly not trying to sound mean here, but if people are going to shoot down good advice just because they've "never had a problem," that's not a valid argument and I'm calling you out on it.

Screw off. Of course computer illiterate people are going to bust shit. I think every IT person has to deal with that, but if you treat your system with respect and don't yank cables, you will be fine.

Get whatever adapter you want, but these adapters are fine. Yes it's easier to break something with them, but unless it's a really long adapter and you put a good amount of force on it, you will be fine.

And the statement "I have never had a problem" is not useless advice. If enough people come out and say "I have never had a problem" then it's more likely that you won't have a problem. And it's not my supporting statement, I gave ideas on why it wouldn't hurt your system unless you did something stupid to it.

Reply 17 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:

I work IT. People break these things all the time. I even have to replace network cables because people jam their computers up against the wall that hard, even when I repeatedly tell them to stop doing so.

Well, that's wonderful and all, but unless you really didn't notice this is a vintage computing forum, and most people here do have the slightest of clues, thank you. It is fairly unlikely they will go about RAMMING their vintage computer system into a wall on purpose.

Those adapters work fine. I've never managed to break one, nor have I managed to wear out or break my PS/2 ports by accidentally yanking on the cable.

Reply 18 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only problem I could see is if someone were to knock the keyboard from the table or something, but I guess that in that case the problem won't lay with the plug. And sometimes stuff breaks, it happens.

yawetaG wrote:
kenrouholo wrote:

I work IT. People break these things all the time. I even have to replace network cables because people jam their computers up against the wall that hard, even when I repeatedly tell them to stop doing so.

Well, that's wonderful and all, but unless you really didn't notice this is a vintage computing forum, and most people here do have the slightest of clues, thank you. It is fairly unlikely they will go about RAMMING their vintage computer system into a wall on purpose.

Those adapters work fine. I've never managed to break one, nor have I managed to wear out or break my PS/2 ports by accidentally yanking on the cable.

^This.

Most people here actually know how to deal with computers.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!