VOGONS

First post, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I won a voodoo 5 on ebay, I now need to upgrade my cpu. I have an ASUS P2B-F Slot One mobo. Should I go with a 1000mhz pentium 3 coppermine or go with an asus s370-dl adapter.

Reply 2 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think higher clocked P3 coppermines are more common in S370, and slockets are fairly cheap and common (non VRM equipped).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 18, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A slot 1 CPU next to your V5 would look so much cooler than some wimpy socketed thing stuck in an adapter. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 5 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
Standard Def Steve wrote:

A slot 1 CPU next to your V5 would look so much cooler than some wimpy socketed thing stuck in an adapter. 😀

Agreed.

Me too. I do like a fancy slotket like the ones that support tualatin cpu's but a highend slot1 cpu is even more ''retro''.
The 1ghz 100fsb version is pretty rare in slot1, maybe a tiny bit easier to find in s370.

The 133fsb version was a bit more common in slot one and easy to find in s370.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 18, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think lately it is one of the hardest things to find for me: a highend slot1 cpu.

I never use Ebay and i have most of the time no trouble finding what i need. But besides the slotket options my fastest slot1 cpu is still a p3-700mhz. I can not find a faster 100mhz fsb slot1 cpu.
I'm not even talking about the 1ghz one.

Granted, i don't really need one and it keeps a nice gap between it and my Tualatin system but considering everything i found the last couple of years it is odd that i never see them.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kevin_CCR wrote:

So I won a voodoo 5 on ebay, I now need to upgrade my cpu. I have an ASUS P2B-F Slot One mobo. Should I go with a 1000mhz pentium 3 coppermine or go with an asus s370-dl adapter.

If you can get a Slot 1 1000MHz it will be a good solution, but imho a Slot 1 800MHz (with 100MHz FSB) should be fine as well. It's not always about the fastest and greatest, but more a matter of what's good enough and makes you satisfied.

Voodoo 5 5500 is roughly the speed of a GF2, it may help you to keep that in mind. Personally I'd prefer to use a s370-based board for the really fast P3 stuff as it's cheaper and more flexible/easy to setup.

Another option would be to get a s370 1GHz Coppermine, use it in a slotket and run it at 750MHz. That way you can take your time to find a proper 100MHz Slot 1 P3 while still being able to run your V5 Slot 1 rig and afterwards have a 1GHz s370 Coppermine as a spare (which imho you really should have as a spare, 1GHz s370 Coppermines are a must in every collection, kinda like Pentium 233 MMZ is).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
I think lately it is one of the hardest things to find for me: a highend slot1 cpu. […]
Show full quote

I think lately it is one of the hardest things to find for me: a highend slot1 cpu.

I never use Ebay and i have most of the time no trouble finding what i need. But besides the slotket options my fastest slot1 cpu is still a p3-700mhz. I can not find a faster 100mhz fsb slot1 cpu.
I'm not even talking about the 1ghz one.

Granted, i don't really need one and it keeps a nice gap between it and my Tualatin system but considering everything i found the last couple of years it is odd that i never see them.

Yeah, it can be hard to find one. But mine has been for sale for 2 years and I still own it, so...
I've had FC-PGA P3 1100MHZ, 100FSB too.

Reply 10 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it wasn't for the fact that Tualatin core (on a proper slotket @1.3V) does 1000MHz with just 55% of the power/heat of a Coppermine core...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

If you can get a Slot 1 1000MHz it will be a good solution, but imho a Slot 1 800MHz (with 100MHz FSB) should be fine as well. It's not always about the fastest and greatest, but more a matter of what's good enough and makes you satisfied.

^This. I remember back in the day I got a 1000/100 slot one. Performance was disappointing (diminishing returns at 100Mhz FSB) but it was still so cool to get to 1Ghz with a slot 1. 😎

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If one can't find those fancy proper FCPGA2 slotkets then the Korean guys modded Tualatin CPUs + a normal FCPGA slotket is an easy way to get 1050+ Mhz on a Slot-1 i440BX board.

The only thing needed except for the CPU and FCPGA slotket is VRM support for 1.475/1.5V, most of my BX boards have this but 1998 board revisons probably don't have it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281238323137?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The modded 1400 MHz Tualerons with 100 MHz FSB seems to be temporarily out of stock but here is the link if anyone wants to add it to their watch list. The price is $25 when they are in stock if I remember right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Updating-/28193195765 … oQAAOSwWTRWuu99

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-02-16, 22:35. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

^This. I remember back in the day I got a 1000/100 slot one. Performance was disappointing (diminishing returns at 100Mhz FSB) but it was still so cool to get to 1Ghz with a slot 1. 😎

Disappointing performance? My 1ghz Slot1 runs circles around my (recently sold) 1ghz SlotA Athlon... Now that's what I consider disappointing.

Reply 14 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Disappointing performance? My 1ghz Slot1 runs circles around my (recently sold) 1ghz SlotA Athlon... Now that's what I consider disappointing.

I never build a slot A rig, but I was mostly referring to wanting a Slot 1 1000MHz 100MHz FSB Coppermine while a Slot 1 800MHz 100MHz FSB Coppermine may prove much easier to find and use and have well enough performance for the intended tasks while being cheaper (and have a bit less power consumption).

I do think that going from, say, Deschutes 350MHz to Katmai 550MHz does increase performance by a significant margin, but both these CPUs were also already 100MHz FSB. When it comes to narrow FSBs and higher frequencies, larger cashes seem to start matter more.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I do think that going from, say, Deschutes 350MHz to Katmai 550MHz does increase performance by a significant margin, but both these CPUs were also already 100MHz FSB. When it comes to narrow FSBs and higher frequencies, larger cashes seem to start matter more.

Unfair comparison...

Pentium II 350MHz Deschutes, 512KB @ 175MHz
Pentium III 550MHz Katmai, 57% speed increase, add some other enhancements and SSE, 512KB @ 275MHz.

It was supposed to be way faster.

Now 800->1000, same architecture gives a 25% speed increase...

Reply 16 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
Unfair comparison... […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Unfair comparison...

350MHz Deschutes, 512KB @ 175MHz
550MHz Katmai, 57% speed increase, add some other enhancements, 512KB @ 275MHz.

It was supposed to be way faster.

Now 800->1000, same architecture gives a 25% speed increase...

I agree with you on the CPU frequency boost being more significant when it comes to the examples that I brought up. But this was kinda also my point, 800MHz Slot 1 CPU may be significantly less expensive and easier to find compared to the 1000MHz one while hardly being a noticeable downgrade.

Heck, even the 133MHz FSB 800MHz Coppermine and 133MHz FSB 1000MHz Coppermine were very similar in performance to one another. Hence my advice to simply use a slower one. Or at least till he decides if he makes up his mind whether he actually wants to spend extra money on the faster part. It may not even be worth it and he might spend that same money purchasing parts that are more useful to him.

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Well, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it seems that on the 100Mhz FSB slot 1 platform, going from 800Mhz to 1Ghz only netted about 10-15% improvement despite the 25% clock speed difference. I remember the limiting factor being the FSB and chipset limitations.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Well, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it seems that on the 100Mhz FSB slot 1 platform, going from 800Mhz to 1Ghz only netted about 10-15% improvement despite the 25% clock speed difference. I remember the limiting factor being the FSB and chipset limitations.

Looks like I'm going have to dig up a 800MHz P3. All I have at hand is a 700MHz.