User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware:
Intel Pentium 133
ASUS SP97-XV
Creative SoundBlaster AWE64
Maxtor 80GB HDD(using BootIt NG Bootloader, 2GB DOS partition,Extended Partition with 2 2GB volumes and one other partition with the rest of hd space to windows 98)
S3 Trio64V+
52x IDE CD-ROM
Gotek Floppy Emulator
The issue: everytime that i choose to save the game on DOS(Windows 98 is fine) the game freezes and unfreezes only when i reset.
Games that had the issue(that i have tested): SimCity 2000,System Shock,Doom,Duke Nukem 3D, Theme Hospital, Life And Death, Theme Park.

Recent changes to the sytem: Replaced the 1.44mb floppy drive to gotek floppy emulator, and swapped cmos battery to a new one.

Maybe i should keep only Windows 98 and use DOS Mode for my good old dos games?
MS-DOS 7.1 have any issue with older games(maniac mansion, jill of the jungle,etc)?

Reply 2 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

May be the complex partitioning setup?

i really dont know, BootIt NG create a virtual MBR so for the DOS Boot Options the MBR is Primary DOS,Extended DOS,Null,Null, for the Windows 98 boot options is The Windows 98 FAT32 partition,Extended DOS Partition,Null Null.
And it was working fine before, before i store this machine in my closet(away from light,heat and dust) it was working fine with this(since MS-DOS 6.22 dont see the Windows 98 partition).
With more details, the the bootloader is the BootIt NG and it creates a "EMBR" that stands for Extended MBR, where he keeps all the partitions, and whenever a boot option is selected it write those information to the real hard disk mbr, so i really doubt, even modern windows installations can't see each other using this technique with BootIt NG(i use this for customers that have one PC in the family and has the "my brother infected the pc with computer virus", so each member of the family has it own isolated windows installation)

Reply 3 of 6, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had something that sounds a bit similar. On my 486-66, Duke Nukem 3D would sometimes freeze. When the freeze happens, I began to notice that the hard drive would re-spin up, like it was a fresh PC start from "cold." So, in my case it was a hard drive that was dying in an unusual, inconsistent way.

I would replace the hard drive with another model and see if it reoccurs. I have no idea on a free hard drive imaging program to handle your partitioning structure...unless old versions of Norton Ghost are somehow free.

Reply 4 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ifkz wrote:

I had something that sounds a bit similar. On my 486-66, Duke Nukem 3D would sometimes freeze. When the freeze happens, I began to notice that the hard drive would re-spin up, like it was a fresh PC start from "cold." So, in my case it was a hard drive that was dying in an unusual, inconsistent way.

I would replace the hard drive with another model and see if it reoccurs. I have no idea on a free hard drive imaging program to handle your partitioning structure...unless old versions of Norton Ghost are somehow free.

Well i will try it, BootIt NG also clone the partitions so i can use it to image, and now that you mentioned, i noticed the hdd led stay on all the time when it freezes, i will get a new hdd and use seatools to limit it to 120gb and i will do only a windows 98 install and setup dos mode with the files and drivers that PhilsComputerLab have provided in one of his videos.

Reply 6 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ifkz wrote:

The solid active hard drive light on your system also makes me think replacing the hard drive is a good step. Please let us know if a replacement hard drive fixed the problem or not.

Dont worry i will, but i will be able to buy new parts only in march, i also noticed on simcity 2000 if i try to load the city that was being saved while the game frozen it give me some I/O error, but if i delete and copy again from dos the sc2 file from the same folder (the backup copy) it works perfectly and no error or crashed happens,and when i create and edit one text file it works normal and the file is written to the disk.
Just to be sure i will try to save one simcity game to a floppy since im using gotek floppy emulator it should be reliable and if the freeze happens again the is probably something else.
I also will try new ide cables.
Thank you all for the answers and i will keep this topic updated.

EDIT: when using Windows 98 it works fine, only on my ms-dos 6.22 it hangs when saving.
I will use windows 98 and setup dos mode.