VOGONS

First post, by vulpesfoxnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It turns out that the hardware I purchased was taken from a IBM 7587. Much thanks for everyone who assisted me!
-- Origonal Post below--
So I finally bit the bullet and have decided to dive into building a socket 7 system, and I had the brilliant idea of using Industrial hardware after watching both HighTreason160 and PhilsComputerLab. I've have been looking at some of the wonderful PC104 dos boards, and I wanted to build something also of similar size. So I decided I'd go a little bit bigger and use a Single Board Computer (SBC) using PICMG over PC/104, since they run a bit cheaper and allow me to use PCI card. I managed to snag a processorless SBC and back plane for only 40$. 😀 But before I can make any more purchases, I got to figure some things out.

The seller didn't quite know what the hardware was, although they had a good guess that the SBC was an IBM 586V. I believe it is actually a IBM 586VE, judging by this site and their pdf manual.

I haven't got a clue what the backplane is, and that's what I need the most help identifying, and what form factor it is so I can find a case that can mount it. My old school Lian Li case doesn't match any of the holes, so I can safely assume it's not AT, BT, or ATX. I've seen other backplanes used in 2U units. The other quandry is powering the backplane, but that may be as simple as getting an AT connector converter with a P10 connector after feeding it through a -5v generator.

Anyway, here's my google drive gallery with the pictures.

Thanks for any help, clues, or insight you can provide!

Last edited by vulpesfoxnik on 2017-02-18, 03:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its a passive picmg backplane. its not any format, its a passive 5 slot. you need a industrial chassis or a 5 slot shoebox chassis for it.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 4, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ You can probably use this 6-slot industrial chassis:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advantech-6-Slot-De … HEAAOSwEK9UFsOV

Regarding powering the backplane, a simple AT PSU should suffice.

Reply 3 of 4, by vulpesfoxnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my goodness, j^aws, Thank you so much. Even if the mounting holes don't line up I think I can fit it in there if I drill new holes. I have a couple of tapping drill bits I think I could use.

I looked around a bit at some of the 5 and 6 slot chassis available with PICMG support, and I went with the one that j^aws suggested, as while the seller on Ebay doesn't sell to the US, one was selling it for 60$ or so with shipping.

Also, thank you BloodyCactus, for suggesting a shoebox chassis. I've never heard of them before, and I looked at a few, but they were more than I wanted to spend on a case. Also if that link in your sig is your site, that shoebox pc is pretty dang cool too.

Reply 4 of 4, by vulpesfoxnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I figured out what the backplane is from. It's from an IBM 7587, which means it is both the SMB and Backplane from it. The manual for it has the backplane pin outs under Appendix C-4.
However the SBC seems to be from a IBM 7588? Maybe. The manual for the 7587 doesn't make mention of the 586VE, but the 568U, which is a very different card. But it's definitely my backplate in there.