VOGONS

First post, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I bought a voodoo5 5500 and it wasn't working. So I took a flashlight and some time to look over the board and found these capacitors missing. C543 and C515 look to have had capacitors in those places since its not just solder blobs but blobs with rectangle imprints as if the capacitors were ripped off, also C90 the big drum capacitor is gone,C90 is also gone, and C106 is dented. Any idea what type of capacitors they were and if the card is repairable? (After further research it is confirmed that those were on other cards and I am guessing is the reason for the random lines on the screen?)

Last edited by Kevin_CCR on 2017-02-20, 05:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There have been a couple v5 repair threads and success stories on here. Browse the forum a bit, there should be some good diagram links.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The missing caps should be 100nF/0,1µF 16V 0603 X7R 5 or 10% but I'm pretty sure they're not what's causing the vertical lines. Most likely one of the chips is dead... could be worth a shot adding the missing capacitors - maybe I'm wrong.

Have a look here as well - there's useful links about half way in the thread: Need help reviving a V5 5500...

Reply 3 of 9, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

The missing caps should be 100nF/0,1µF 16V 0603 X7R 5 or 10% but I'm pretty sure they're not what's causing the vertical lines. Most likely one of the chips is dead... could be worth a shot adding the missing capacitors - maybe I'm wrong.

Have a look here as well - there's useful links about half way in the thread: Need help reviving a V5 5500...

I checked out the page, only one of the missing capacitors are listed. C90, C515, and C543 are still unidentified.

Reply 5 of 9, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Could it be one of the gpu's?

Reply 7 of 9, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

Screen distortion is often a sign for a damaged memory chip. GPU cores are normally very longlasting and don't tend to malfunction - and if they do, they don't produce an image alltogether.

Is it possible to test them?

Reply 8 of 9, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have personal experience but a quick Google search came up with this: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-w … est-its-memory/

You should just hope, that it's not the memory as faulty chips aren't replacable without industry level machinery/tools.

Reply 9 of 9, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

I don't have personal experience but a quick Google search came up with this: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-w … est-its-memory/

You should just hope, that it's not the memory as faulty chips aren't replacable without industry level machinery/tools.

The problem is I can't install the drivers for the card, when I do it locks me into a black screen or just artifacts.