VOGONS

I need advice for a 3DFX Config

Topic actions

First post, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, 😎

I am going to make a my first "retro PC" 3DFX Master Race.

Here is the configuration I am planning to get :

MB : MSI KT3 ULTRA2 (it has AGP 4x)
GC : Probably a Voodoo3 AGP (too hard to get a Voodoo5...)
RAM : 2*1GB 333Mhz PC2700U
Processor : Athlon XP 3000+ @2.17Ghz
PSU : probably going to buy a new (and silent) one

But

Do I need another video card than the Voodoo to access the BIOS ? Will Win XP run smoothly with the Voodoo card ?

What PC case would you recommend ?

Is it possible and good to use a usb flash drive instead of an old HDD ?

Thanks for help 😀

UPDATE! Edit : I changed my mind and this is what I have / need to find

MB : MSI KT3 ULTRA2
GC : Voodoo2 12mb SLI
The other GC : Probably a FX5900, but I'm going to try with my GF4 64mb first
RAM : 1GB 333Mhz PC2700U
Processor : Athlon XP 3000+ @2.17Ghz -> Going to downclock to 1.3Ghz
PSU : I do not have it yet*
Case : Same, It sucks that its ATX and not micro ATX MB, cause I do not own a case for this MB 😒
HDD: SATA 250GB 7200RPM, with SATA to IDE adapter.

Last edited by zehef on 2017-03-22, 09:52. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 58, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 3s are standalone graphics cards. They do not need another 2D card to operate.

And I dislike using solid state media. It's impossible to use USB boot media unless you use a bootloader that will allow you to do that, but even if you do get that. the onboard USB for Socket A machines is only 1.1, so you will get deadly slow speeds. I suggest an old hard drive, IDE hard drives are incredibly easy to come by, you can probably find one for free if you look a tad. You can use compact flash cards and SD cards, but I had SSDs in retro systems. Your mileage may vary.

Reply 2 of 58, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have a 250GB WD SATA HDD, maybe it is worth to get a SATA->IDE adapter.
The SD card -> IDE seems really good !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9vwOf19XE
I am going to look at this. Its not retro but it is fast and small. Maybe its the way to go.
A 16/32GB SD card should be ok for Windows XP.

Reply 3 of 58, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a nice Win98 machine. Running XP for gaming, you might want to go for a faster GFX than Voodoo3.
I have no idea about any possible driver issues with Voodoo3 and XP. So you might want to check up on that, just to be shure.
For a case. I recommend something with a good airflow. And if you settle on Voodoo3 then you might want a fan on that too.
Just get a ball bearing 60mm CPU fan and use cable/zip ties, like the one I did in the picture below.

XP-03.jpg
Filename
XP-03.jpg
File size
84.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 58, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really want a Voodoo card only. Best option would be a Voodoo5 5500, but I wont spend 200€ 🤣

Damn, the fan looks really good on the card! 😀 Dunno how you fixed it, there is no holes for zip ties
Without it, am I going to have heat issue ?

For the OS, it seems like it can run with Win XP: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3dfx-RETRO-GAMING-P … 5UAAOSwLEtYfol7
This guy is selling a PC with an athlon3000+ and Voodoo5 and it works with WinXP, so why not with the Voodoo3 x) I will try both xp and 98.

Reply 5 of 58, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3Dfx sold them without any fan, but since it still runs very hot, people tend to cool them in order to make their life longer.

I'm not sure if XP is the best choice here : glide games were designed at the end of the DOS era and in the win9x era. Sure with modded drivers it may run, but I don't know if that will be as great as running them under windows 9x (I've never tried in fact 🤣). I don't think that winxp games will run best on a 3Dfx card

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 58, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go for something like Geforce 6800 if you want to run WindowsXP software/games on that machine.
If you want to run Win98 games, then go for the Voodoo3 card and install 512mb Ram instead.
There is indeed holes for zip ties. The heatsink has 4 holes and only 2 are used to secure it to the card.

EDIT:
I have added a picture, were you can see it from the side. (Click to see a bigger version)

SAM_0464.JPG
Filename
SAM_0464.JPG
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 58, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks now I see how you put it. Gonna try when I grab a voodoo3. Its a cheap way to cool the voodoo nice job :p

as for the RAM i only own 1GB stick so I guess I will limit the ram in W98 and keep 1gb physical.
I want the PC to run 3dfx games, i'm not interested in geforce/ati oldies.
W98 is probably better, i can try both anyway

Reply 9 of 58, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't recommand a p2/slow p3 because even voodoo 2 sli can scale up to the pentium 3 1GHz. My pentium 2 400 overclocked to 496 struggles to have a constant 60 fps under half life or unreal with my voodoo 2 sli whereas seing how those games run using the exact same gpus on a 1GHz pentium 3 makes me think that the best choice for a voodoo 3 (which is according to reviews as fast/a tiny bit faster than voodoo 2 sli) would be a pentium 3/original Athlon 1GHz

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 58, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Love Athlon XP systems for Windows 98. They can run Windows XP just fine, but I personally feel that if your going to build a Windows XP system you would be just as well off building a Core2Quad or even an early Core I3/5/7 CPU.

Not sure how much storage space you think you need, I assume not all that much since you considered using a USB stick. If your system is IDE using a CF Card or SD card to IDE adapter is perfectly acceptable and eliminates seek time. If you need more storage then that I'd recommend a plain old NEW or gently used SATA drive with an adapter. Even SSDs are usable. Just wantever you do don't bother trying to use an old IDE drive which has seen better days.

Reply 11 of 58, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zehef wrote:
Ok thanks now I see how you put it. Gonna try when I grab a voodoo3. Its a cheap way to cool the voodoo nice job :p […]
Show full quote

Ok thanks now I see how you put it. Gonna try when I grab a voodoo3. Its a cheap way to cool the voodoo nice job :p

as for the RAM i only own 1GB stick so I guess I will limit the ram in W98 and keep 1gb physical.
I want the PC to run 3dfx games, i'm not interested in geforce/ati oldies.
W98 is probably better, i can try both anyway

Thanks. The most widely used method of cooling a V3 here on Vogons, are a big 80mm fan.
I just choose to do it this way, as it still keeps the card cool, and I personally think it looks better this way.
Taste differs though, and as long as the card is cold. Then it is ok I guess.

As for geforce cards, you can go for a fast and then install a Glide-Wrapper in order to play Glide games.

Reply 12 of 58, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

I wouldn't recommand a p2/slow p3 because even voodoo 2 sli can scale up to the pentium 3 1GHz. My pentium 2 400 overclocked to 496 struggles to have a constant 60 fps under half life or unreal with my voodoo 2 sli whereas seing how those games run using the exact same gpus on a 1GHz pentium 3 makes me think that the best choice for a voodoo 3 (which is according to reviews as fast/a tiny bit faster than voodoo 2 sli) would be a pentium 3/original Athlon 1GHz

True that. On a P-II-400 + V2-Sli, I would personally not run Unreal and other games like that.
A setup like that is more of a NFS-III/Diablo-II kind of machine.
Not to say that persons like Phil, have used V3 in K6-III+ machines and it play's well enough
for some games. Yeah... They are more of a sort of Dos/Win98 machine and not pure Win98.

Reply 13 of 58, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

Love Athlon XP systems for Windows 98. They can run Windows XP just fine, but I personally feel that if your going to build a Windows XP system you would be just as well off building a Core2Quad or even an early Core I3/5/7 CPU.

I kinda agree with this. Although a higher-end athlon XP or MP will handle XP ok, I usually stick with 98 or 2k with those setups and reserve XP for dual or quad core 939/AM2/Core2 builds. It's just a better experience.

And while the voodoo3 has its purpose, pairing it with an athlon XP, specifically a later one (especially on a DDR board), is just a huge bottleneck. I usually stick with 500-1000mhz CPUs with that video card. I understand the Athlon will be great in windows and make things load quickly, but it is way overkill for that video card.

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 14 of 58, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick question. Do you have the KT3 Ultra yet? If not, see if you can track down a KT6 as it supports 200mhz FSB chips like the Athlon 3200. The KT333 (not 'CF') chipset is pretty good, but it's not designed for the very last generation of Barton chips.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it really a good idea to run XP on a glide rig?

Does your mobo have the P4 power connector? If not, you might want to look for a PSU with at least 30A on the 5v line. Athlon XP (and Thunderbirds) are veeery hungry when it comes to using 5v and most modern PSUs (which are tailored to run mostly 12v) will have a lot of trouble when used on a board that predominantly wants 5v.

Personally you might be better of using a Coppermine or Tualatin (or even a 100MHz FSB s370 Celeron or Tualeron).

brostenen wrote:
It is a nice Win98 machine. Running XP for gaming, you might want to go for a faster GFX than Voodoo3. I have no idea about any […]
Show full quote

It is a nice Win98 machine. Running XP for gaming, you might want to go for a faster GFX than Voodoo3.
I have no idea about any possible driver issues with Voodoo3 and XP. So you might want to check up on that, just to be shure.
For a case. I recommend something with a good airflow. And if you settle on Voodoo3 then you might want a fan on that too.
Just get a ball bearing 60mm CPU fan and use cable/zip ties, like the one I did in the picture below.

XP-03.jpg

I second this. It's a great mod for Voodoo 3 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 58, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
brostenen wrote:
It is a nice Win98 machine. Running XP for gaming, you might want to go for a faster GFX than Voodoo3. I have no idea about any […]
Show full quote

XP-03.jpg

Or use either m1 or m3 screws from you local hardware store (they go by the kg usually). This works far more reliable and better (no movement from vibrations or noise)
I mounted most of my fans with simple bolts, nuts and gaskets (I get those from the hardware store similar to mobo gaskets).

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-02-28, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 58, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the V3 cooling mod that Brostenen mentioned, you should also take a look at Maximus' photos in this thread:

Oops, I think I killed my Voodoo3

My own solution was much less elegant and incredibly sloppy, but just as effective:

You can also mount a fan to blow over any video card by using a spare slot cover, and this is the method I currently like best:

Tyan P200 MMX Voodoo 1

Everybody has their own opinions regarding what hardware is best in certain configurations. I think your build is fine, except for your choice of Voodoo 3 for video. It's just not a good choice for a system over 1ghz that will be running XP. Voodoo 3 cards are a better choice for systems running Win9x with CPUs slower than 1ghz and between 256mb-512mb RAM.

IMO, your configuration would be best with an FX 5900 Ultra or 5950 Ultra. If you can't find one of those, a GF 6800 would be a good 2nd choice. Why choose the FX 5900 or 5950? It's a DX9 card that still supports 8-bit palletized textures and fog tables. It's also a better match for your fast CPU. For compatibility, you can use various GLIDE wrappers to get older games working. If you really need to, you can also dual-boot with Win98SE for even better compatibility.

Can you run a Voodoo 3 in your system with WinXP? Yes, but it's just a waste of your PC's potential. For example, I would guesstimate that your PC with a Voodoo 3 would score about 2000 marks in 3DMark2001SE. With the FX 5900 Ultra, I think it would score 15,000 marks or more.

With excellent GLIDE wrappers like DGVoodoo, Zeckensack, and NGLIDE, there's just no reason to choose the Voodoo 3 over a much faster and better-matched card like the 5900 or 6800.

(I also think the Radeon 9600XT is a good choice, but only with WinXP. Don't get one if you intend to run Win9x or dual-boot with Win9x. They're cheap, run very cool, and use very little power. They're also DX9 cards that support 8-bit palletized textures and fog tables with the later versions of the Catalyst drivers, but only under WinXP.)

You didn't mention a sound card, but I would recommend a 1st or 2nd generation SB Live! WinXP SP3 has built-in drivers for them, so you don't even need to mess around with Creative Labs drivers if you don't want to.

Also, I agree with Ampera: IDE hard drives are incredibly cheap and easy to find. No need to use CF or SD cards. (Sorry Phil, I know you like them.)

Reply 18 of 58, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ye. Leave the SSDs for Drauga1. At least he has a joke behind it.

And the reason I say P3 is that the slot 1 P3s came out around the same time as the Voodoo 3s. May not be a great match, but it may be a bit more period accurate.

Socket A is not bad though, it's gonna deliver fast performance all the same.

Reply 19 of 58, by zehef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

I dont think there is any way to put a Voodoo in a core2quad or intel i3/5/7PC.
This MB has a agp 4x. And it support athlon 3000+ with the latest bios.

gdjacobs wrote:

Quick question. Do you have the KT3 Ultra yet? If not, see if you can track down a KT6 as it supports 200mhz FSB chips like the Athlon 3200. The KT333 (not 'CF') chipset is pretty good, but it's not designed for the very last generation of Barton chips.

I have the MB, Ram, and Processor. I still need a CPU Cooler, case, PSU, Voodoo card and maybe sound card.

Tetrium wrote:

Is it really a good idea to run XP on a glide rig?

Does your mobo have the P4 power connector? If not, you might want to look for a PSU with at least 30A on the 5v line. Athlon XP (and Thunderbirds) are veeery hungry when it comes to using 5v and most modern PSUs (which are tailored to run mostly 12v) will have a lot of trouble when used on a board that predominantly wants 5v.

I do not know, i will post a picture in a few days.

KT7AGuy wrote:
Regarding the V3 cooling mod that Brostenen mentioned, you should also take a look at Maximus' photos in this thread: […]
Show full quote

Regarding the V3 cooling mod that Brostenen mentioned, you should also take a look at Maximus' photos in this thread:

My own solution was much less elegant and incredibly sloppy, but just as effective:

You can also mount a fan to blow over any video card by using a spare slot cover, and this is the method I currently like best:

Tyan P200 MMX Voodoo 1

Everybody has their own opinions regarding what hardware is best in certain configurations. I think your build is fine, except for your choice of Voodoo 3 for video. It's just not a good choice for a system over 1ghz that will be running XP. Voodoo 3 cards are a better choice for systems running Win9x with CPUs slower than 1ghz and between 256mb-512mb RAM.

IMO, your configuration would be best with an FX 5900 Ultra or 5950 Ultra. If you can't find one of those, a GF 6800 would be a good 2nd choice. Why choose the FX 5900 or 5950? It's a DX9 card that still supports 8-bit palletized textures and fog tables. It's also a better match for your fast CPU. For compatibility, you can use various GLIDE wrappers to get older games working. If you really need to, you can also dual-boot with Win98SE for even better compatibility.

Can you run a Voodoo 3 in your system with WinXP? Yes, but it's just a waste of your PC's potential. For example, I would guesstimate that your PC with a Voodoo 3 would score about 2000 marks in 3DMark2001SE. With the FX 5900 Ultra, I think it would score 15,000 marks or more.

With excellent GLIDE wrappers like DGVoodoo, Zeckensack, and NGLIDE, there's just no reason to choose the Voodoo 3 over a much faster and better-matched card like the 5900 or 6800.

(I also think the Radeon 9600XT is a good choice, but only with WinXP. Don't get one if you intend to run Win9x or dual-boot with Win9x. They're cheap, run very cool, and use very little power. They're also DX9 cards that support 8-bit palletized textures and fog tables with the later versions of the Catalyst drivers, but only under WinXP.)

You didn't mention a sound card, but I would recommend a 1st or 2nd generation SB Live! WinXP SP3 has built-in drivers for them, so you don't even need to mess around with Creative Labs drivers if you don't want to.

Also, I agree with Ampera: IDE hard drives are incredibly cheap and easy to find. No need to use CF or SD cards. (Sorry Phil, I know you like them.)

I can keep my hardware and install Win98 with it. I just need to find a 256/512mb ram, it should be cheap.
Anyway I really want a Vooodoo card, athlon3000+ is maybe huge but is it a problem?
I'm going to look for this sound card, ty.
Do you know is my SATA HDD with a sata->ide adapter is going to perform better or the same as a real IDE hdd? it might solve the problem

petro89 wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

I kinda agree with this. Although a higher-end athlon XP or MP will handle XP ok, I usually stick with 98 or 2k with those setups and reserve XP for dual or quad core 939/AM2/Core2 builds. It's just a better experience.

And while the voodoo3 has its purpose, pairing it with an athlon XP, specifically a later one (especially on a DDR board), is just a huge bottleneck. I usually stick with 500-1000mhz CPUs with that video card. I understand the Athlon will be great in windows and make things load quickly, but it is way overkill for that video card.

but anyway, a 1ghz processor or an athlon3000+ is the same price.
Its true that the processor is too powerful, but i hope it wont cause any problems

Ampera wrote:

Ye. Leave the SSDs for Drauga1. At least he has a joke behind it.

And the reason I say P3 is that the slot 1 P3s came out around the same time as the Voodoo 3s. May not be a great match, but it may be a bit more period accurate.

Socket A is not bad though, it's gonna deliver fast performance all the same.

I already have the Athlon so I am going to try with it.