VOGONS

First post, by MrRandom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't remember wich motherboard it is( may have answer tomorrow)but it has PCI slots, ISO aswell i think. Want to throw quake 2 at it and play on the still live servers haha but the network card is missing! Do you guys think any adapter would work? (except wifi adapters of course) will windows 98's original Ethernet drivers recognize any basic new card? ( if no, with tears in my eye have to gut the ol' 1.5 ghz gaming pc, but that one is windows 2000 and still works with my wifi usb adapter)

Reply 1 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just buy a el cheepo card on eBay. Just check to see if the chipset support a 9x.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-02-24, 17:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite card of all time was the Intel Pro/100 type (intel 82558 / 82559 chipset) - they worked in machines that didn't like the Realtek... pretty sure I used one under 98 - yep, 98 drivers available for Pro/100 and even Pro/1000

Also drivers available for the Realtek - some call them "crab cards" due to Realtek's logo on the chipset - some brand name cards also use the chipset, and will work fine with generic Realtek drivers.

Reply 3 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To me 3com cards are really great because they get the job done without asking the cpu too much. The etherlink 3 is one of my favorite dos/win3x card due to it being supported by windows 3.11 and the Microsoft network client out of the box which is really neat and saves a lot of time and the etherlink XL 10/100 (also know as 3c905b-tx) is my favorite for windows 9x for the same reasons. They also have boot roms available on the internet that you can find easily and they are well documented.

Sure you can buy another network card without probably having any issues but since I have a lot of those cards and that they are known to be great cards, I'm basically using those only

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 22, by MrRandom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright thanks everyone for the quick reply! if I find an older card I would be pleased! But do you guys think any contemporary card will work? found a really cheap TP-LINK TF-3239DL still on the market for example and it says it's plug and play (maybe not PnP in windows 98?) I'm not really that good with older systems and these kind of components. I'm just starting out as a vintage collector. Shouldn't any 10/100 card be recognized by W98?

Reply 8 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most newer ones will work as well, my 98SE IBM i only had a TP-Link 1gb card I bought at Fry's in 2014 available, it has 9x drivers and works great.

Reply 9 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have used a very similar card in a 9x box and it worked fine.

Also 9x only supports one cpu, if your Pent Pro system has two cpu's the second one will go unused.

Reply 10 of 22, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only cards worth getting are 3com and Intel, in my opinion.

Pro/100 can work on 9x and so can 3c905. Not sure about 3.11 if you ever wanted to use that, maybe a 905 will work, or maybe you'd have to use an ISA card like a 3c509.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 11 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have used just about every thing out there and I can't say the same, Reel tech cards are ok, its not like one will be watching youtube or using PXE on a 9x box. VIA also make a few good chipsets for 9x systems. it all really depends on what your doing.

Reply 12 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@kenrouholo

I've successfuly used 3c905 under MS-DOS and Windows 3.x

I won't explain it right now, but I've managed to make a network bootable image which allows you to install windows 3.x, windows 95, 98 or whatever 😉

I'm pretty sure I can even install 2k or xp with that (if the installers can be lanched from MS-DOS)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel Pro 100 is what I use on most boards including Socket 8. I dont even have any non Intel NICs anymore. I use Pro 100 or Pro 1000. Pro 1000 probably wouldn't bring much benefit with a PPro.

Reply 14 of 22, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tend to stick with 3COM 3C905 for PCI or 3C509 for ISA. AMD PCnet is also fine for PCI.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 22, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

German Electronics company Conrad Electronic sells a PCI Gigabit LAN card under their own name that works in Windows 98SE (and it works as intended).

Reply 18 of 22, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything with the Realtek 8139 chipset will be well-supported in Windows (95 through 10, 3.1 may be a little troublesome). The newer gigabit-capable Realtek 8169 and 8111 have Win9x drivers also, but are kinda overkill. But, they're so cheap and common that you might as well.

Intels and 3Coms are better cards, no doubt, and the AMD Lance/PCNet/PCNet-Fast are solid too, but if you want cheap and good enough, Realtek will fit the bill. I would strongly prefer a 3Com (3c905c) or Intel (EEPro100 or EEPro1000) if you're going to be hosting games, though - those chips handle large numbers of packets more adroitly.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 19 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jade_angel wrote:

Anything with the Realtek 8139 chipset will be well-supported in Windows (95 through 10, 3.1 may be a little troublesome). The newer gigabit-capable Realtek 8169 and 8111 have Win9x drivers also, but are kinda overkill. But, they're so cheap and common that you might as well.

Intels and 3Coms are better cards, no doubt, and the AMD Lance/PCNet/PCNet-Fast are solid too, but if you want cheap and good enough, Realtek will fit the bill. I would strongly prefer a 3Com (3c905c) or Intel (EEPro100 or EEPro1000) if you're going to be hosting games, though - those chips handle large numbers of packets more adroitly.

I would also say 3com 3c905, but not 3c905C, I would suggest 3c905B. Windows 95 totally freaks out with some submodels of 905Cs (C-TX-M for example - Windows 98 SE and above could totally use the C models, though).

Realtek 8139 is also a solid card in my opinion (my only copy is a 10mbit only card, though), and it has the ability to have native support from windows 9x and above. It definitely has working drivers available for Windows 3.11 (just as virtually all 3c905s have).

My personal choice is 3c905B-Combo (nice retro look with totally useless features like BNC and thicknet connectors 🤣).

Last edited by tayyare on 2017-04-18, 12:00. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000