VOGONS

ibm aptiva 2176-f31 cpu upgrade

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm about to upgrade my first PC which happens to be an IBM Aptiva 2136-E34, it is currently a Cyrix PR166L (133mhz) with 16mb EDO Ram.
I have 128mb EDO to go in and have either a P233MMX or a K6-2 400, not entirely sure which processor will work but will try both. I have a nice big modern cooler to sit on it so that should be fine.

Also going to throw in one of my Voodoo 2's

Reply 21 of 31, by danny666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

me it was my first pentium pc it originaly come with133mhz cpu,16mb ram,sis onboard vga,crappy ibm modem sound combo card

now is still 133mhz gonna put the 333 ,128mb ram,virge gx 4mb,voodoo 2 12 mb,sound blaster pro2 ,3 com 3c509b lan card and i put a 5.25 disk drive and 750 zip drive

Reply 23 of 31, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if that's thermal grease or what, but you only need a tiny drop the size of a pea; wipe that off

Next, the heat sink should have a groove down the middle and a there's supposed to be a clamp that hooks into a notch on the socket. There may also be a fan that screws on top of that, it may be difficult to attach due to the adapter

Reply 25 of 31, by Tommaso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
t3f4l wrote:

I'm about to upgrade my first PC which happens to be an IBM Aptiva 2136-E34, it is currently a Cyrix PR166L (133mhz) with 16mb EDO Ram.
I have 128mb EDO to go in and have either a P233MMX or a K6-2 400, not entirely sure which processor will work but will try both. I have a nice big modern cooler to sit on it so that should be fine.

I have that exact PC with the Cyrix PR166 MX running at 133 nhz. Using anything over 64 meg EDO will slow it down as it is only cachable to 64 megs, which is plenty. I have though anout upgrading the CPU but I want to keep it original. I has an old PCI pvr2 as a graphics exellerator, and I know a 400 mhz AMD would help its potential greatly, but there is something about it I like the way it is. It plays MechWarrior excellently and is a great DOS and early 3D machine, so I kind I like it the way it is. I bought it for 10 dollars at value village in all original condition with the exception of the add in 3D card. Good luck with yours, they are build like tanks!

Tommaso

Reply 27 of 31, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danny666 wrote:

yes my aptiva run at 333 still need to find a way to put my heatsink . What is the max cpu i can put on these socket adapter ?

Some of those upgrade adapters, or CPU upgrade kids came with coolers which had a longer clips on them. i Got a new old stock 400 mhz version of that same kit but I got mine new in the box with the Cooler that came with it. You might be able to take a standard clip and bend it into place.

Reply 28 of 31, by danny666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:
danny666 wrote:

yes my aptiva run at 333 still need to find a way to put my heatsink . What is the max cpu i can put on these socket adapter ?

Some of those upgrade adapters, or CPU upgrade kids came with coolers which had a longer clips on them. i Got a new old stock 400 mhz version of that same kit but I got mine new in the box with the Cooler that came with it. You might be able to take a standard clip and bend it into place.

nope i already try it the clips are ways to small to fit there .Maybe gonna use Thermal Epoxy

Reply 29 of 31, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tommaso wrote:
t3f4l wrote:

I have that exact PC with the Cyrix PR166 MX running at 133 nhz. Using anything over 64 meg EDO will slow it down as it is only cachable to 64 megs, which is plenty. I have though anout upgrading the CPU but I want to keep it original. I has an old PCI pvr2 as a graphics exellerator, and I know a 400 mhz AMD would help its potential greatly, but there is something about it I like the way it is. It plays MechWarrior excellently and is a great DOS and early 3D machine, so I kind I like it the way it is. I bought it for 10 dollars at value village in all original condition with the exception of the add in 3D card. Good luck with yours, they are build like tanks!

Tommaso

It has the K6-2 400 in it along with the 128mb ram and i've put a 12mb Voodoo2 in aswell, the 2d Graphics let it down a bit.
Im going to be fitting a PCI USB Card in to make it easier to transfer files next

Reply 31 of 31, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine is now running one of these coolers:
https://www.startech.com/uk/Computer-Parts/Fa … et-A~FANDURONTB

The onboard header wasnt man enough to run the fan so its running via a molex adapter, the heatsink just about fits next to the riser board.
I had to bend the metal clip slightly to allow it to connect to the socket.