VOGONS

First post, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long story short, I bought a game, Blue Max Aces of the Great War, that you can see here:
Re: Bought these games today

It comes with three 720K floppy disks, which I assume worked, so I started dumping them using my Dell C840, first one worked, second one had some problems with a file or two, and the last one was completely unreadable.
At this point I was thinking, well, let's try with another drive, so I got a Teac USB drive out, plugged it in, and tried, didn't work, finally I fired up my old Pentium 200 tower to use my 20 years old floppy drive, and the results were identical, unreadable disk.

Now the bad part, I wanted to write an image to another floppy, used the C840, didn't work, on a floppy that was i know worked fine, I tried with a couple of good floppies, then tried with the previous tww drives as well, nothing worked, and my good floppies kept getting damaged...

The first floppy of the game:

bluemaxfloppy1.JPG
Filename
bluemaxfloppy1.JPG
File size
247.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The third one:

bluemaxfloppy3.JPG
Filename
bluemaxfloppy3.JPG
File size
188.44 KiB
Views
File license

A victim of my new deadly drive:

bluemaxvictim.JPG
Filename
bluemaxvictim.JPG
File size
189.4 KiB
Views
File license

And in case you want to hear the damage...

Filename
bluemax-floppy-audio.zip
File size
425.33 KiB
Downloads
64 downloads
File license

Would dismantling and cleaning the drives be enough to restore them to a working state?
Thanks for reading!

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 1 of 7, by anachronism1887

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a new in box floppy copy of Windows 95 that basically did the exact same thing. First disk damaged the drive and damaged the next drive I tested to troubleshoot if it was the diskette or the drive. I took the two floppy drives I messed up apart and cleaned the heads with 99% isopropyl alcohol. The drives have been fine afterwards but, like you, I tried a known good disk beforehand and had it damaged.

At least in my experience, cleaning the heads should allow the drives to be functional. I don't know of a way to recover the floppy diskettes that have been damaged.

Reply 5 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had this issue with one 5.25" 1.2MB floppy disk. Ended with 5 broken 1.2MB floppy drives 😠 Cleaning heads didn't help...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A problem I've found with 5.25" disks is when they don't turn smoothly in their cases. (You can hear them squealing when spun). That messes up the drive motors and causes malfunctions that persist even when reading OK disks. Taking the drive apart and cleaning/oiling it seems to help. Always check that the disk media can rotate freely in the casing before inserting the disk in the drive. Unfortunately many retail game 5.25" disks have this problem.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bad 5.25" floppy had no signs of failure. It was read to about 67% then stopped. After this even known good disks wouldn't be read.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs