VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I found a sata beige DVD drive aways back, personality I never seen a sata DVD drive that's beige before.

Is that common? Rare? I know beige ide dvd are very common. But Sata?
What gets me is that it's date coded 8/10/2010 and it's beige.

Reply 1 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't think I've seen one, but I suppose they may have been made for specific OEM builds, or maybe someone transplanted the faceplate from an older drive, or someone custom-painted the faceplate?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In some Asian countries white and beige OEM systems seem to be still quite common, so it's not exactly unusual (the reason seems to be that white/beige are considered luxurious colors there, while black is the luxurious color in the Western world).

Reply 3 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

Don't think I've seen one, but I suppose they may have been made for specific OEM builds, or maybe someone transplanted the faceplate from an older drive, or someone custom-painted the faceplate?

The face plate and tray as far as I know are original.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
yawetaG wrote:

In some Asian countries white and beige OEM systems seem to be still quite common, so it's not exactly unusual (the reason seems to be that white/beige are considered luxurious colors there, while black is the luxurious color in the Western world).

Ill get the drive out tonight, I recall a lot of Asian letters on it for a DVD drive.

Reply 5 of 9, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in 2004 to 2006. Plextor and Samsung made replacement plastic plates in both black and beige for both pata and sata dvd plus cd burners and combo drives as well. They might be rare now a days, yet back in the mid-00's it was quite easy to buy eighter colors or buy a part in order to make you'r own personal drive. And it is so easy to change the plate. I did, 12 drives a day, through a whole month on all drives, as they were delivered in beige, and the cases were all black. (I was a system/pc builder and service technician back then)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a view beige SATA drives back in the day, they came with black faceplates but had a beige faceplate included in the box. I also bought one at fry's in 2006 for a friends dad's computer he had an older beige case but wanted to be able to burn DVD's and his board had SATA ports so I bought a SATA DVD-RW for him (he paid me for the part once I installed it). So it wasn't uncommon just older from when those drives where $100+ and the mid 2000's

Reply 8 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know LG was making beige SATA DVD burners. I have one that was probably purchased 2009/2010.

Also, LG's retail package (which was rare) typically included a black burner, and a spare beige faceplate. You can identify such a drive where the faceplate was replaced, because the tray is still black. I have one such drive as well.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think beige optical SATA drives may turn into something interesting, especially if not very many of them were ever made.

Remember that even s478 boards already featured SATA and IDE drives will at one point start to fail due to their age.

Btw, beige IDE DVD drives (and especially burners!) are something that I kept collecting in low quantities because these will get interesting sooner then one might expect.
Actually...internal 3.5in floppy drives will go that way, even though most people will probably say things like "Haha! floppy drives will NEVER become rare!" well they said the same thing about Pentium 3 and look at them now...or maybe better look at how much harder is has become to actually see any for sale at a decent price.

Even 486's were considered worthless junk and collectors were being made fun of....and look at those have-nots now...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!