VOGONS

HP Vectra 486 33VL question(s)

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 23, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It IS possible to put in a CDROM on the single channel. All I did is put one in as a slave. Actually, the Maxtor drive I have didn't like the CDROM so I had to take out the jumper entirely. The software sees it at 0x1F0 with no jumper in a standard CDROM (Goldstar 8x here).

nVdgHgOl.jpg

However, I did not have any rails. Even the hard drive enclosure was missing when I got the system. For that, I had a beat up clone case that had a removable 3.5 inch drive bay, so with some minor modifications, I made it work with the Vectra.

Here's how I made the rails:

For the right side, I used some kind of rail that I had to cut down so it can catch the internal case edge. I had to enlarge the holes and lengthen them (using the drill bit as an end mill) and fit it into the top mounting screws of the CDROM. Luckily the height was quite on point.

I made marks where everything needed to stop or be aligned.

fofjUOBl.jpg

llpxRD3l.jpg

Here you can see the end of the rail I made hitting the chassis stop. I lengthened the holes on the rail so I have some adjustment room.

S294wU3l.jpg

kkHMh93l.jpg

For the other side, I initially used an I/O shield with the L mount bent 180 degrees to stop the CDROM moving into the machine when the eject button is pressed.

9nzoBGcl.jpg

On the computer itself, there's a little nub that got in the way:

0OnrwMRl.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson's favourite tool solved that, and yes, I removed the hard disk before smashing the computer with a hammer:

42p3qT1l.jpg

Revisiting the left rail, I ended up using a different I/O cover:

m4OwYlIl.jpg

Again, careful precision eyeballing, I expanded the holes to give me some lateral and horizontal maneuvering room :

a1Ge1gRl.jpg

keei4iIl.jpg

Now, this worked very well, however I was still faced with the problem of sliding.

Luckily our initial rail I/O shield came in handy - we don't waste anything in this house:

DPwqwV6l.jpg

And, after dremel:

774LG7fl.jpg

The second I/O rail keeps this one nicely in place:

RquGCDNl.jpg

Then just screw it down into the original HP hole (slightly on an angle here from hammering, but does clear the CDROM):

5JrekEhl.jpg

I considered using a washer, but with all due fact, this is only going to withstand the pressing of a button. Also, it is very tight as it stands. I had to pull off the right hand rail and slightly enlarge the holes so that I can tighten down the rail one milimetre lower to raise the height of the drive.

Piece of cake!

Now, this computer came with a copy of Monkey Island on it, which I've never played before so I will go play that.

TTYL!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 22 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YMF71x cards work out of box kind of only with PnP BIOS. One will absolutely have to run a DOS init program on a non PnP system. There's Yamaha's SETUPSA and my own SETYMF, both that you can get from here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 23, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the Windows 95 driver (works on 98 SE too) from here:

95v2343.exe

https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-14958995-46036217-40336857.html

I have this card in another Pentium machine, which led me to this thread.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!