VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys, long time no see, does any body have information on performing an RAM modification on an voodoo 5 5500 graphics card? I have obtained one V5 PCI model in horrid shape from the flea market and since it needs one RAM chip replaced (along side a whole lot of other components) I thought id give it a go and upgrade it to 128MB.
I have all the professional tools at the service I work at so tools wont be a problem.

WP_20170308_001.jpg
Filename
WP_20170308_001.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File comment
Front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WP_20170308_002.jpg
Filename
WP_20170308_002.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File comment
Back
File license
WP_20170308_004.jpg
Filename
WP_20170308_004.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File comment
Misc
File license

*Take the way that the bracket looks like and multiply by two - That was the shape that the whole card was in 🤣

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Voodoo 5 has seen some shit. 🤣

Upgrading it to 128MB might not be worth the hassle, I don't think you'll ever find a case where the Voodoo5 would be VRAM starved, so replacing all those memory chips will be a waste of time 😁.
If on the other hand you simply don't care...

By the way, your old Voodoo5 AGP is still in active duty in one of my systems, love that card 😊 !

Reply 2 of 8, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there Stojke, if source enough 4ns chips for a 128MB upgrade then PM me. I have both AGP and PCI V5's that I would like to try that upgrade with. I can do my own rework, but don't have the chips. Faster chips is the biggest advantage compared to more memory on the V5. 4ns would be perfect.

Reply 3 of 8, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think such chips even exist. 6ns, maybe 5.5ns at best. I still have a bunch of GF2 MX400 donor cards which have 16MB TSOP2 86-pin SDRAM modules... the best of them topped out at 190 MHz, while the weakest ones could barely hit 166 MHz stable.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 8, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
That Voodoo 5 has seen some shit. :lol: […]
Show full quote

That Voodoo 5 has seen some shit. 🤣

Upgrading it to 128MB might not be worth the hassle, I don't think you'll ever find a case where the Voodoo5 would be VRAM starved, so replacing all those memory chips will be a waste of time 😁.
If on the other hand you simply don't care...

By the way, your old Voodoo5 AGP is still in active duty in one of my systems, love that card 😊 !

Hi F2! Glad to hear that 😁
Well, that may be true, but from what I saw with mem upgrade it reaches the benchmark values of the AGP model via default configuration 🤣

Still, would be a shame to let it rot like that 😀

Kodai wrote:

Hey there Stojke, if source enough 4ns chips for a 128MB upgrade then PM me. I have both AGP and PCI V5's that I would like to try that upgrade with. I can do my own rework, but don't have the chips. Faster chips is the biggest advantage compared to more memory on the V5. 4ns would be perfect.

Haven't seen any, but sourcing them from older cards sounds like a good idea.., thanks havlI!

Reply 5 of 8, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

I have all the professional tools at the service I work at so tools wont be a problem.

Since you have them on hand, it would be nice to know the list of tools needed/used to repair/upgrade.

Reply 6 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a 3DFX forum where a couple of members have already done this to theirs, the extra vram does help in a couple of benchmarks and yes the faster ram does help but as someone else has said sourcing is harder.

Can't find this right place but found this.
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22088

EDIT: http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=general

>>>> http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1364630437 <<<<

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 8, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:

Since you have them on hand, it would be nice to know the list of tools needed/used to repair/upgrade.

The tools needed for a V5 RAM upgrade are pretty simple. Just a good hot air reflow station, a good soldering station, some desoldering braid, flux and solder. As long as you're not dealing with BGA chips, then those tools will handle most repairs and mods.

You could do the job with either a soldering station or a reflow station, but both of them make it faster and simpler.

Reply 8 of 8, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Pretty much as Kodai said. For RAM chips all that it would take to complete the job is:
Soldering station with bevel or angled tip , quality low diameter solder tin or solder paste , quality flux (so it doesn't leave piss marks all over the thing) , solder wick wire , pair of tweezers with a nice grip and wide enough to properly grab onto the component, isopropyl or acetone to clean up and last but not least, an hot air station (Any with decent temperature and flow regulation will do).

All the tools could be obtained for around 100 euro.

nforce4max wrote:
There is a 3DFX forum where a couple of members have already done this to theirs, the extra vram does help in a couple of benchm […]
Show full quote

There is a 3DFX forum where a couple of members have already done this to theirs, the extra vram does help in a couple of benchmarks and yes the faster ram does help but as someone else has said sourcing is harder.

Can't find this right place but found this.
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22088

EDIT: http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=general

>>>> http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1364630437 <<<<

Thank you! I will definitely try now that I have the required schematic .