VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are these ISA network cards interesting/valueable/useful?

I'm more a 90's pc guy not so much 80's and I have no idea if these are considered interesting or not. I actually am just guessing they are network cards as well.

should i keep em?toss them? sell them?

31651ue.jpg
j0fbpt.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, they are interesting for older systems. I would try to get them running and look how they perform.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8-bit and, judging by the model, UTP? I'd keep them or since you're not into older stuff at least don't toss them. Heck, some of us are trying to get our hands on these!

Reply 3 of 6, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, that might be a token ring card. I can't quite tell if that middle port is a DE-15 or DB-9. Either way, it might well be interesting, hang onto it!

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe not these specifically, but some ISA network cards also has a boot ROM socket.
You can program an EEPROM chip with the XT-IDE BIOS and then have a PC that can support larger hard drive sizes (particularly PC's from the XT to 486 era).
You can then also use this in conjunction with a CF to IDE adaptor and use a CF card with it.
There are also other alternatives, like using Dynamic Drive Overlay Software, but the above is just one of the uses for older ISA network cards.

Reply 5 of 6, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would keep it.
My favorite card so far is this 3com marvel (it even has the designer's nicks? silkscreened on the back). I'll do a better shot front&back when I get home. I don't even mind the connections, got 2? external transceivers and I also got a Coax hub recently.

ETHERLINK_II_2227-01_2.jpg

Reply 6 of 6, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on where you live, if you have a BASE-T twisted pair ethernet card for ISA (8 or 16 bits) I may be willing to buy one as I am looking for a network card for my 486 for a retro network, and all my equipment is BASE-T