VOGONS

First post, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently got this motherboard M912 v:1.4 http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/m912v14.htm, it came with a 486DX2 66, and a nice Cirrus Logic VLB graphics card, as well as a VLB controller card with 2 IDE channels, but no sound card (everything for 20 euros 😊 😎 )

So I swapped, the CPU for a DX4 100 and I plugged an AWE64 value, so I could finally play Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness without the annoying super fast scrolling you get on pentiums and onwards. But to my dismay, I got some very annoying crackling noise (only with FX, CD music, as well as MIDI work fine). I figured it may be some compatibility issue, so I swapped the card for a Vibra 16 and got the same result, then I tried an Awe 32, a SB16, another Awe64, so I thought it may had something to do with Creative cards, so I tried a Yamaha Audician 32. I got the same problem with all of them. So I started playting around with IRQs and DMAs. Tried all the ISA slots, and same result. All of the cards work fine (I even tried them on another 486 system). You think it may be a chipset issue?? I ran out of ideas. 😵 😢

On a side note, when I used a P24D on write back mode, the turbo button doesn't work, the system freezes and when I unpreess it it continues working normally, I guess these old motherboards can be capricious some times.

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no, pcchips ><. Be careful, this board might have fake cache ...

For the sound, IIRC I didn't have had problems with that board for sound ...

Have you tried another GPU and IDE controller ? Maybe they interfere with the sound card for some reason ? Have you tried another psu too ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is your ISA bus clock ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 10, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried changing the ISA bus as well. I tried with 8 and 6, and got the same results. I also tried different graphics card.

I guess I'll try a different PSU and controller card.
I'm at work ATM, I'll do it later today.

Thanks for replying!

Reply 4 of 10, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried another PSU and got the same result.

However, I tried another graphics card. The other I tried before was a VLB card, so I tried an ISA card and the problem was gone. Does this mean there's an issue with the VLB and ISA bus? One thing to note is that both of the VLB cards I tried have Cirrus Logic chips, and the ISA is a Trident. I wonder if I a VLB card from another manufacturer I'll still get the same problem. Too bad I don't have any 🙁

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some later BIOSes allowed you to reserve an IRQ for your video card.
I'm just guessing here, but maybe your VLB is using the same IRQ as your sound card (or the is a similar conflict)?

Reply 6 of 10, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Some later BIOSes allowed you to reserve an IRQ for your video card.
I'm just guessing here, but maybe your VLB is using the same IRQ as your sound card (or the is a similar conflict)?

Not according to msd. Though I have 2 motherboards, maybe I just checked one of them. I'll check it again, though I don't think so. One of the first things I checked was for hardware conflicts.

Reply 8 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe VLB bus mastering issue? The video card is taking too much of the bus time and prevents timely updates of the SB sample DMA? Just a guess. Did you try other VLB slots for the card? Could also be some advanced BIOS settings that's wrong.

Reply 9 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really weird. I don't have a system with an M912 set up right now. I kinda got annoyed at that model due to lame issues with the BIOS.

Do you have the AMI or Award BIOS? The AMI BIOS is better but neither were working with write-back cache mode for me.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 10, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got the same problem with my SBpro 2 and Cirrus Logic graphics card. Only seems to happen in SQ6 and LSL7. Other games the audio seems fine.

EDIT: Running UniVBE.exe v5.3a before starting the game resolved the problem.