VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do you store your card collection? I have seen others use clear storage totes or segmented shelves sometimes. I recently built this shelf thing to hold my classic card collection. It's slightly better than how they were stored before which was just stacked on top of each other in storage tubs.

04370a81c76cc106ed4b892316872ddededafd4c.JPG
dbb3d96c6954107d8d7f5b21eb452dc87a4a6dc6.JPG

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In bins, each individually wrapped in an ESD bag with an ID label on it. I have a Microsoft Access database on my laptop with the IDs and the details of the card.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Meljor stores his collection in a kinda similar way. I would recommend getting EDS-bags though.
I like how you keep your driver disks with your parts, but this gets harder to do in case you start acquiring multiple spares of the same part so I just keep all driver disks together and virtually all manuals together as well.

In the threads I mentioned earlier are more tips and tricks. I prefer to put as much as I can in boxes and label those.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indevidually packed in antistatic bags and place upright in boxes. One box for soundcards, one for gfx cards and so on.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Um, I put them all in a box?

I am the worst at storage. The most organized I ever get is putting everything in separate plastic bins.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 10, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In bags, in boxes and in drawers, scattered about in several locations. Some of my oldest parts are stored in an old Cool Box. Honestly I'm so disorganised with my spare parts, that I often forget exactly what I actually have and sometimes I find something and have absolutely no recollection of how or where I acquired it.

Some of the stuff I've got should really be dumped, ie. a few old Winmodems. People just kept giving me them when they upgraded to Broadband back in the day, guess I was just too polite to refuse. 🤣

Reply 8 of 10, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

Honestly I'm so disorganised with my spare parts, that I often forget exactly what I actually have and sometimes I find something and have absolutely no recollection of how or where I acquired it.

Thats actually why I made the shelf , I didn't know how many parts I had until I dove through a bunch of boxes and saw them. This way , I can visually see what I have much better.

Reply 9 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium was talking about this picture.

The difference is that i stack them in wooden blocks with cuts in them so they do not fall and/or touch each other and i can take any card in a second.
Only problem is the longer cards like voodoo5 and voodoo rush do not fit, they are laying behind the rows.

I do a lot of benchmarking and other stuff so i don't like to put them too far away in boxes etc. I do that with my motherboards, they are stacked in a cabinet in plastic boxes and anti static bags.

Attachments

• shelfs.jpg
    Filename
    shelfs.jpg
    File size
    94.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 10, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I will return to this thread more than once, just to look at those pictures. It is so nice to see all that PCB stacked so neatly!

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ