VOGONS

First post, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
So I bought a Toshiba Portege 3110CT today at a market. All it came with was it's PSU and some 'PORT' pcmcia CD-ROM drive.

The 6gb HDD was formatted so the machine won't boot. There is no internal floppy drive, so I can't boot that way.

I took the drive out and installed it as a secondary master drive on a Pentium 200 machine (running Win95) and managed to partition and format /S the drive. I figured I might as well copy the win95 installer directory I had on the machine over as well, just in case I get lucky.

Unfortunately the Toshiba still wouldn't boot from the drive after all that. I figure it's a MBR issue, but how can I fix that on the machine (with a fdisk /mbr) without it currently booting?

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

insert disk into other work machine, do full disk erase with help Victoria or MHDD tool.
after cleaning disk check, that no bad sectors at begin disk, and create new mbr and partitions.
make new partition and format it as bootable with just DOS files. check, that machine can boot from this disk. if yes - copy win98 folder from ur 9x distr to disk, and try insert it back in notebook.
if notebook can't boot again - go to BIOS and try change settings.