VOGONS

AT Power supply for 386.

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They don't always use top rank caps (especially on budget supplies), but they also don't skimp on necessary components like filters and protection circuits.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got the DTK PSU I talked about earlier. Seems to turn on and I connected 2 drives to PSU that it has some load and then measured voltages 11.92V and 5.05V from third molex which seem to be stable. Nothing smells like burning inside and fan seems to be ok and quiet.
Do I need to open the psu to check the capacitors? Warranty void if removed sticker seems to be intact, so it has never been opened.

Reply 23 of 24, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

whenever you recieve or buy it, first thing you do is check with the multimeter for the right voltages, following check/replace the fan and check the caps. overheating PSU can blow your entire right.

I disagree. I agree instead with Dave Jones from EEVBlog, whose motto is, "Don't turn it on - take it apart!"

I wouldn't power up old electronics without inspecting them first. Wouldn't plug them in at all.

Of course, lots of people are willing to risk things. All up to you. This is just my opinion.

Baoran wrote:

I just got the DTK PSU I talked about earlier. Seems to turn on and I connected 2 drives to PSU that it has some load and then measured voltages 11.92V and 5.05V from third molex which seem to be stable. Nothing smells like burning inside and fan seems to be ok and quiet.
Do I need to open the psu to check the capacitors? Warranty void if removed sticker seems to be intact, so it has never been opened.

How much do you care about the machine? Would you be upset if it blew up? If you would, then inspect it. If you REALLY would, then inspect it with an ESR meter - they are inexpensive on Ebay and generally the inexpensive ones are fine.

As for voltage tolerance, ATX spec is 5%. I'm not sure if AT was also 5%, but even if not, I'd consider 5% deviation the maximum acceptable. 11.92v and 5.05v are fine.

Please keep in mind, also, that a power supply failure can literally start a fire. It's not highly likely but in my opinion it is always worth, at the very least, visually inspecting the inside.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 24 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just connected 2 old optical drives to it for load. I wouldn't have been upset if it would have destroyed those.
Also another thing is that the seller said that the psu had been tested and is working.
People always warn you about opening power supplies and that you might get electrocuted so I have been avoiding doing it if I don't have to.
I have been hit by 230V once before and it wasn't fun.