VOGONS

First post, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, been reading this forum for some time but now I could use some advice please. I have my old pc with an Asus K8N , athlon 64 3000, 512 of pc3200 and an nvidia 6600gt agp. Installed win98 on it yesterday and all went well with a unified driver set I found from nvidia. Everything works great and it is very fast. No legacy support for on board sound so I installed a creative audioPci card (ct 5800) es1373 chip I had laying around. After trying numerous drivers I found one that works great in win98 but I can get absolutely no sound in Dos. Not trying to run actual dos just games like Doom or Wolf3d under windows. The card shows no conflicts in control panel and even has a tab telling me what settings to use for dos applications. Either I am missing something or this is some issue with the nforce 3 250 chipset. anyone have experience with this?

Reply 1 of 2, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nForce chipsets are a really bad choice for Sound Blaster emulation under DOS. Some of the few cards that might work are Yamaha PCI cards with the DSDMA TSR or Aureal Vortex cards.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel