VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'd like to ask if is ok that the integrated graphic card of the Phenom II X3 720, the Radeon HD 4290 RS880 I think, in Linux with the open source drivers, run the Unigine valley tech demo @ 4fps (1024x768) or something. I wasn't expencting 100fps but this is similar to what I got with the Athlon X2 and the R5.
Is there a problem with the open drivers?

Thank

Reply 1 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Phenom II chips lack an integrated video chipset, The HD4200 series is integrated on the Northbridge of your motherboard. Cant speak for your FPS results, but I do know that the HD4200 graphics chips are pretty dang slow.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

The Phenom II chips lack an integrated video chipset, The HD4200 series is integrated on the Northbridge of your motherboard. Cant speak for your FPS results, but I do know that the HD4200 graphics chips are pretty dang slow.

Sorry for the error, thank. I am not really expert in this "modern" platforms.

Reply 4 of 5, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is not an error, those integrated GPUs are that bad. And the sad part is, when they were released they were the best integrated GPUs at that time. They are decidedly unsuitable for any type of gaming and only sufficient for office use.

Reply 5 of 5, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil has a video on his youtube channel on the HD4250 onboard graphics and what it's capable of - might be relevant?

EDIT: A link might have been a good idea 😀 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWdB_vc3lhQ