VOGONS

First post, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i have been going hard getting vintage pcs, might even try to sell some on ebay soon! (=
But i have my own collection to worry about first, i have four pentiums 2s ready, four pentium 3s ready, gonna have a lan game soon when i got my four pentium 4s ready.
i have probably 20 or more motherboards to choose from what am i looking for if im trying to accomplish w98 se on all of them is there a specific chipset that beats all?, and should i be trying to use the fastest CPU available? i have a bunch of those to.
ill probably only be running 3d games on them , my pentium 2/3s can run 2d.
and lastly what is better to use 1 512mb stick 2 256 or 4 128? is less better than more with ddr and/or sd ddr.

Reply 1 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For p4 go 875p or 865p with 2x256 for 9x or 2x1gb for XP. Highest timings possible. For 9x disable ht it does nothing for 9x but make the CPU hotter, also go Northwood over Prescott as 9x games won't benefit from sse3 but will benefit from the shorter northwood pipeline

Reply 2 of 7, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

For p4 go 875p or 865p with 2x256 for 9x or 2x1gb for XP. Highest timings possible. For 9x disable ht it does nothing for 9x but make the CPU hotter, also go Northwood over Prescott as 9x games won't benefit from sse3 but will benefit from the shorter northwood pipeline

Awesome!! great reply, checking everything now 🤣
i865PE is that what you are referring to?

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jnjg25 wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Awesome!! great reply, checking everything now 🤣
i865PE is that what you are referring to?

candle_86 basically got it spot on 😀

Just make sure your board has an AGP slot.

The mentioned chipsets support dual channel and will add extra memory bandwidth, hence the advice to use pairs.

The Intel chipsets for P4 are usually good, but not all support dual channel. Some don't even support DDR but use RDRAM or SDRAM instead.

Btw, for memory I suppose it would be better to get memory with lower timings (which are faster timings).

Adding 4 DDR modules to my own 865 chipsetted board (I don't recall which exact 865 as there were several different versions) slowed down the memory from 400MHz to 320MHz).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win98 does not support hyperthreading, so good idea to turn it off in the bios.

I found the most stable overall boards for P4/win98 (especially native DOS) are intel and the ones with PC133 RAM. They may have actual win98 drivers on the intel site too. Usually only work with early models of P4 cpus.

Reply 5 of 7, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Elbereth wrote:

Win98 does not support hyperthreading, so good idea to turn it off in the bios.

I found the most stable overall boards for P4/win98 (especially native DOS) are intel and the ones with PC133 RAM. They may have actual win98 drivers on the intel site too. Usually only work with early models of P4 cpus.

ill make sure i do that, ive been assorting all my cpus and motherboards. thanks i wasnt sure what he meant by HT

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jnjg25 wrote:

thank you everyone!! i will post pics when im done spray painting all my 12 rigs and have them setup!

yw 😀

And please do! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!