VOGONS

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So someone dumped the mostly smashed remains of an old ACER computer on my work's property along with a monitor and a humidifier. Was a mess to clean up, but among the remains I found an old Quantum Bigfoot 6.4GB IDE HDD much like the one I already have.

I also discovered an ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4550 model. Thinking of throwing it on ebay. How much would it be worth? I see most go for $20-$40 or something but haven't found this particular model. Does that make a difference?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 16, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The model number is kind of interesting, but it's not an AWE64 Gold. Probably produces good quality sound, but not likely to get much higher offers than other Value editions.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

The model number is kind of interesting, but it's not an AWE64 Gold. Probably produces good quality sound, but not likely to get much higher offers than other Value editions.

A quick search came up with very little information, it seems the CT4550 is not an AWE64 Goid but not a value edition either.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: AWE64 Gold Prices on eBay - Insanity suggests it's "the last revision of the AWE64 Gold" and notes that its value was oddly high at the time, but that was four years ago.

Reply 4 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the AWE chip on the CT4550 have everything integrated?

From what it looks like from the few pictures I could find the CT4550 has a decent amount less parts than any of the other AWE64 cards.

Specifically, it looks to be missing the CT1745A mixer chip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 16, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Re: AWE64 Gold Prices on eBay - Insanity suggests it's "the last revision of the AWE64 Gold" and notes that its value was oddly high at the time, but that was four years ago.

I think Phil meant the CT4540. The CT4550 is for sure missing all the external features.

cyclone3d wrote:

From what it looks like from the few pictures I could find the CT4550 has a decent amount less parts than any of the other AWE64 cards.

Looks just like a CT4520, the late AWE64 Value PnP, with only minor differences.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 16, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I can take pictures if any are visually curious.

My Github

Reply 8 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:
I think Phil meant the CT4540. The CT4550 is for sure missing all the external features. […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:

I think Phil meant the CT4540. The CT4550 is for sure missing all the external features.

cyclone3d wrote:

Looks just like a CT4520, the late AWE64 Value PnP, with only minor differences.

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't looked at the 4520.

My Gold is a CT4390 and I was looking at pics of other older models as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 16, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, I used to have 4 of these cards in one PC. I was surprised I could do 8-channel real-time recording with Sonar (Windows 98). I think there was an issue where one channel didn't work on the last card, so 7 channels only (seem like it acted as mono).

I thought they were called Soundblaster PCI 128's or something like that...

Reply 12 of 16, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at Creative's model list (which curiously the CT4550 doesn't feature in), it looks like AWE32 cards are generally CT39xx, AWE64 cards are generally CT43xx and CT45xx, and the move to PCI128 bumps the model number up to CT47xx. So since this card is in the CT45xx series, it definitely looks like an AWE64 rather than a PCI128.

@MusicallyInspired: Do you mind if I use your photos to add this card to the list of sound cards on the Vogonswiki?

Reply 13 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The value of AWE64's has dropped sharply now that the Simmconns are so hard to find IMHO. Without the ability to load a decent sound font they become a lot less interesting compared to all the other nice clones out there to play with.

15 to 20 bucks seems about right for a Value model, add 10 bucks for a Gold 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

Looking at Creative's model list (which curiously the CT4550 doesn't feature in), it looks like AWE32 cards are generally CT39xx, AWE64 cards are generally CT43xx and CT45xx, and the move to PCI128 bumps the model number up to CT47xx. So since this card is in the CT45xx series, it definitely looks like an AWE64 rather than a PCI128.

Especially considering the card in the pictures is ISA and not PCI 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 16 of 16, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info, everybody!

Malvineous wrote:

@MusicallyInspired: Do you mind if I use your photos to add this card to the list of sound cards on the Vogonswiki?

I do not! Feel free. Here's another image of the ports on the card. Just basically Mic & Line inputs and Speaker & Line outputs. (and the game port MIDI I/O)

HuceVnam.jpg

I also notice on the back there is a sticker that says CT4551-A2, but everywhere else repeats CT4550 as the model number.

wtb9tq7m.jpg?1

My Github