VOGONS

First post, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i want to build a machine that could play older games. I dont wont to play games that need more than a Geforce4 card so i would like to use my old Asus Geforce 4 Ti4200 and my P3 1.26 Tualatin.
In this system i can also use my Voodoo 2 pair in SLI configuration. I use standard creative Voodoo2 drivers along side 41.09 win 9x drivers for the GeForce. I am using windows 98se

The problem is that when i play a game lets say GLQUAKE, the game starts and the screen goes black. It is a confusion between the Geforce and the voodoo2s. You got any idea on how to overcome this and make the system works? I want all games to run with the Geforce expect the glide ones that would run with the Voodoo2 SLI. Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What other games cause problems? Does this happen with other OpenGL games? You can try testing GL-Stars and rRootage, like I was suggesting in this thread.
Re: OpenGL not Supported on 6800 Ultra in Win9x?

If you disable the Voodoo2 cards in your Device Manager and restart, does GLQuake run normally?

Reply 2 of 12, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What other games cause problems? Does this happen with other OpenGL games? You can try testing GL-Stars and rRootage, like I was suggesting in this thread.
Re: OpenGL not Supported on 6800 Ultra in Win9x?

If you disable the Voodoo2 cards in your Device Manager and restart, does GLQuake run normally?

Crismon Skies does the same thing too. Also i can't run any 3damrk like 3dmark2000

Reply 3 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, can you get anything running on your GeForce right now? Are programs that can run on the Voodoo2 the only programs that work?

Perhaps you should try re-installing the GeForce drivers.

Reply 4 of 12, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

So, can you get anything running on your GeForce right now? Are programs that can run on the Voodoo2 the only programs that work?

Perhaps you should try re-installing the GeForce drivers.

First of all, thank you for helping me out.

I can't get anything to work with the voodoo2 i think.If i remove the pass through cable and connect the vga cable-monitor directly to the geforce the games are running, at least the last time i tried because now the system is so messed up that i have to reinstall.

There are many guys that have this setup i think and run smooth, or am i so wrong?

Reply 5 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nosdio wrote:

If i remove the pass through cable and connect the vga cable-monitor directly to the geforce the games are running

The passthrough component is entirely passive. Unless your Voodoo2 cards have a serious physical defect, it should make no difference whether your monitor is plugged into your GeForce or plugged into one of the Voodoo2 cards with the passthrough cable.

Reply 6 of 12, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think having 3 video cards in one system must be giving Windows a headspin. Hard to say though I'm not that experienced with SLI.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 7 of 12, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have almost this same setup: 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 SLI +Geforce 4 Ti 4600 + P3 1ghz and I had this same issue with Quake 3dfx patch, I could'nt even start the Voodoo video settings without crashing the system, what I did was to reinstall the fastvoodoo drivers after the Nvidia driver, even if the first were already installed, then I got sure that I had the correct opengl driver files on the game directory, each game using 3dfx patches need its own, Quake, Descent etc.

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fusion wrote:

I think having 3 video cards in one system must be giving Windows a headspin. Hard to say though I'm not that experienced with SLI.

Every single SLI setup ever devised has "3 video cards in one system", sir.

Reply 9 of 12, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the answers, so in one post i see you have to install the fastvoodoo drivers after the nvidia ones. Copados33 what driver did you use on your 4600?

An update from my side is that i tried the setup with a clean install using a matrox G200 agp which has its own drivers from the matrox site. Please note that the G200 card can play games as well and i am saying this because if it was in the first place the case of "second 3d gaming cabable card" it would have been with the matrox as well which is not the case. I tried Quake2, SOF, NFS3, Blood2 and Expendable(i played this one with both the voodoos and matrox in fact)-all with success. So i believe it is a matter of driver conflict between the geforce and the voodoo's. I will try the setup with an older Hercules GF2 GTS in order to have the oldest possible driver and see what happens. Meanwhille i am waiting for Copados33 answer on the GF4 driver which is essential since he managed to get the setup running.

Reply 10 of 12, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Every single SLI setup ever devised has "3 video cards in one system", sir.

Hahaha. I was a few drinks in when I wrote that intelligent piece! 😵 Derp.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 12 of 12, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nosdio wrote:

Running smooth with Geforce 2 GTS and 12.41 drivers. Next stop is to try out my Gf4 with 28.32

Finally set up with 40.72 and my V9280(4200-AGP8X). Probably if you own a 4X AGP Nvidia Geforce 4 you can put older drivers too.
Thanks for all the posts