VOGONS

First post, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spent all night slaving away on google and archives looking for the correct driver/software for this HP printer I got practically for free that was apparently compatible with 9x. HP does not really maintain archival related software as well as they should so you kind of have to dig around gaining references to file names, versions, and etc.

Finally got one to work with the laptop and communicates just fine. I'm sure it can scan directly to my laptop but I'm sticking to memory sticks for now because that optional larger software isn't compatible with 9x so I don't want to bother with kernelex just yet. I always knew that the manufacturers had a bad reputation when it came to ink and I kinda realized this when it refused to print due to low ink in one of the cartridges... So I digged a little more and found/figured out the codes on how to control all the hidden settings so I can override the warning about low ink 😀 any similar stories?

Reply 4 of 4, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just can't justify the time it takes to mess with old Inkjets. The ink drys up too easily sometimes in places almost impossible to clean. Laser printers are much easier from a maintenance perspective and even new ones have come down in cost dramatically. So basically I only get laser printers for the last 10 years or more regardless if they are retro or modern. I'd consider picking up a dot matrix printer but I just don't have anything I could use it for short of maybe teaching it to play music like some folks have done on youtube...🤣