VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://ru.pc-history.com/digital-venturis-fx-5133.html

Doesn't appear to have any jumpers. Although, I put a celeron 300 in a p2-350 HP system with no jumpers and it went/detected fine.

Reply 2 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will work, it won't work, or you will create a rip in the space time continuum destroying all life in the universe.

Reply 3 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does the BIOS have multiplier/FSB control? Might be able to switch cpu speeds from there. I would guess that at the very least, it would boot up at 133 when you put the 166 in. But I see no harm in trying.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this looks like jumpers to me

jmp.png
Filename
jmp.png
File size
486.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I don't know why they would put a VRM slot (the white thing next to the socket) if you couldn't choose the CPU speed

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

does the BIOS have multiplier/FSB control? Might be able to switch cpu speeds from there. I would guess that at the very least, it would boot up at 133 when you put the 166 in. But I see no harm in trying.

No multiplier/fsb. On another topic, I'm not sure what to set jumper 15 to when installing a dx4 in this (and it takes a pentium, the "overdrive" part?):

I5Ft0CW.jpg

Reply 6 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just set it to 3,4.
They say that all of these settings work for the DX4 so if you want to run it as fast as it can, set it to 3x multiplier ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Just set it to 3,4.
They say that all of these settings work for the DX4 so if you want to run it as fast as it can, set it to 3x multiplier ^^

Will it matter whether it's intel or amd? (voltage)

Reply 8 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both work at 3.3v so it should be okay. Though I don't see any jumpers to set the voltage, so I don't know how that works. What may differ between the intel and AMD is the L1 cache settings I think

Reply 9 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will work, in fact, any socket 5/7 motherboard will work with all pentium1 models that fit them, just some motherboards doesn't support dual CPU voltages (no big deal) and does not have enough jumpers/switches for multiplier selection (can be modded with simple wire in socket for any multiplier).

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bluejeans wrote:

http://ru.pc-history.com/digital-venturis-fx-5133.html

Doesn't appear to have any jumpers. Although, I put a celeron 300 in a p2-350 HP system with no jumpers and it went/detected fine.

Chances are that when you replace the 133Mhz with a 166MHz Pentium, you will get no speed boost whatsoever as the multipliers are set by the motherboard.
There are upgrade chips available (the Pentium MMX 200 comes to my mind).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!