VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When trying to use the DOS 6.22 Boot Disk from bootdisk.com (boot622.exe), I run the .exe from the USB Floppy program that PhilsCompuerLab uses for his Go-Tek and it creates the bootable floppy disk as one of the available floppies on the USB Stick.

When I try to boot from it, I am getting an error about the disk being created with WinImage and it cant boot from it....I am sure someone has seen this...anyway to get around it or is there a better boot disk to use?

Reply 1 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

to eliminate hardware or software as the fault , does the machine boot from that same disk image with a normal floppy drive?

and or , does some totally different type of boot disk work on your floppy emulator?

Reply 2 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used many of the boot disk images from that site without any problems?
boot622.exe is on your HDD not USB correct?
running it should ask for a floppy, Insert your USB into the gotek and set it to which ever number you want (I use 62 for 6.22, 95 for Win95, etc)
Click ok, it will give a warning about formatting the disk (from memory) and that's it!

If you already have a PC that boots into 6.22 you can chuck the gotek in there and copy the system files over by typing sys c: a:
But you will need to copy across drivers and create config.sys/autoexec.bat files manually

Reply 3 of 8, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boot622.exe is on my Hard Drive. Using the USB Floppy Manager software with the USB Stick formatted and inserted into the computer, I choose one of the 100 floppy disk sections within the software and choose write image (or something close to that, i dont have it with me right now). The software prompts me to choose a file. I choose the boot622.exe file and it runs the file and puts the extracted boot disk on the USB stick in whichever floppy number section I choose. If you open the contents of that disk, it shows the boot disk files.

Take the USB stick and put it in the Go-Tek. Boot the system and choose the right number on the Go-Tek. System boots up, but when it starts to read the USB, I get that error about WInImage.

Normal floppy with same image boots fine.

Windows 95 and Windows 98 Boot Disks run fine from the Go-Tek.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That actually rings a bell now
USB Floppy Emulator / Simulator - Video Review
The link to the software is on the previous page.

I wont be in a position to test anytime soon but hopefully this will put you on the right track at least?
I did manage to quicky test boot622.exe on a PC with a gotek, and that worked fine, so its the software that's messing up, not the file

Reply 5 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that's not how you create boot disks from that site. They are executables that you need to run with Gotek installed on that machine.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can Gotek be used to create a Windows 98 Start Up Disk? When prompted during the Win98 installation I put a prep'd and formatted USB stick in there (having followed Phil's tutorial and using UsbFloppyManager1.40i) and select a blank floppy # but I get the following error:

"Disk Initialization Error

Setup cannot properly initialize the disk that you inserted.

Error: Disk sector was not found."

I've tried totally blank 'floppies' as well as ones that I formatted as boot disks with DOS 7.1. Neither work.

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

as in the actual drive?
That should work fine as far as windows is concerned its just a floppy drive.
I had more luck with 1.23 version of the software, but it is a bit more basic

Reply 8 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I don't get it. I can load floppy disks that I've configured with the utility but I cannot use 'blank disks' for boot disks. Trying to create a boot disk from a game's install.exe yields a blank 'ERROR' as well. It seems like this might only be an issue from DOS. I was able to create a Win 98 Boot Disk from inside Windows.

However, trying to select "Make Boot Floppy" in something like TES: Arena's install.exe just goes to a screen with ERROR in the top left corner.