VOGONS

First post, by Gdourado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, how are you?

So, I am thinking about doing my first retro build.
Initially I was thinking about doing an Athlon XP build because that period has some very nostalgic value for me.
But that would require some investment from me as I don't have almost no parts from that period.
Since this will be my first retro build, I am not looking into spending much, because I am still afraid of building the computer and then never using it and it ends up sitting here.
I have a reasonable modern gaming computer with a 144hz g-sync monitor and a big back log of games, so I don't know if I would really use the retro machines much besides the nostalgic value of the build itself.

Anyway, I sorted some parts I have lying around and decided on a late 2000 build.
This is what I have that I think is accurate of the period :

- ECS p4ita i850 board.
- p4 1500 s423
- g-force 3 ti500
- sound blaster live!
- 300w psu.

I am missing some parts and that is why I need your help.
I have several Ata hard drives, but I don't know what size is period accurate.
Also, what kind of case should I look for.

As for display? Is it a crt? Or where there already gaming tufts at the time?

What's your input on this?

Thank you.
Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need some memory! 😀

4x256 MB PC800 Rambus RIMMs if going with Windows 2K or XP, 2x256MB + two 0MB CRIMM if sticking with Windows 9x.

Your video card is from 2001 but it's a much better match for the rest of the system than a Geforce 2 GTS so I would keep it. Back then gamers upgraded video cards as often as todays gamers change socks.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 4, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't worry too much about period correct hard drive sizes - newer will be usually more reliable and usually faster, and the larger it is the more games you can install on it.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gdourado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I get home, I will have to see what hard drives I have, but I know I have around 10 so I can probably choose the most accurate one.
In regard to cases, I don't know what brands and models where around at the time.
When I was looking at specing out the Athlon build, I was looking at either lian li, antec or cooler master that existed on 2004-2005.
But around 2000, I don't know what cases to look for.

Cheers and thanks

Reply 4 of 4, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to Vogons forum. If you want your HDD's time period go for 2 x Maxtor DiamonMax Plus 20GB 7200RPM or equivalent, but as above I would go with newer and more reliable hard disk drive.
Definately CRT monitor, I strongly recommend LG Flatron. Do favour to me and upload screenshots from Clive Barker's Undying, McGees Alice or Max Payne when setup will be ready

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300