VOGONS

First post, by shoggoth80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all.
Grabbed another tower today. Dirt cheap. $15. Missing the hard drive, but I have options for that. I have an IDE to SD adapter board coming, and I am really tempted to use that. IDE HDD would be real cheap at this point. The only SATA drives I have that are not currently in use are damaged ones. Also I think using Win98se, there is a size limit of 32Gb before you start needing utilities, or getting errors?
It's a Pentium 4 system.
Motherboard is an MSI 865PE Neo2 (Intel 865 chip set)
CPU is a P4 2.8GHz
GPU is an ATI Radeon 9550XL 256Mb.
RAM is 512Mb Mushkin branded.
PSU is a 450W, didn't see the manufacturer on it.
Case is a giant ATX, in the holy beige. Lol.
It has twin CD drives, one of which probably has a dirty belt. Only really need one but whatever. Cheap to swap, or cheap to fix, not a lot of difference to me there.
Has a 3.5" floppy drive, for the handful of physical discs I would run.
Twin front fans, a side fan, a rear case fan, CPU cooler fan, and even I think north bridge fan (that one is noisy, so I gotta swap it, they're like $0.50-$1 at my local shop).

It has a whole host of PCI slots. I have a Soundblaster card CT4740. that I think is SB16 from Googling. PCI sound card. I know it isn't the Aureal Vortex that is recommended by Phil's Computer Lab, but it is what I have on hand. Drop that in and disable onboard audio (AC97)? I also still have a GeForce2MX that is sitting unused, if the Radeon was too much for some reason. I know there are various software utilities for slowing things down, for the games that would have timing issues. For the games that would use Glide, I would still need to jam my Voodoo in there yeah? That wasn't something that got integrated into later model GPUs was it? Or would it be moot with a card with as much punch as the Radeon?

This was very much an impulse buy, as the case is pretty nice by itself, and worst case scenario, seems to have a few more options than my current case. Lol. I watched the video on using a P4 for DOS stuff, and I'm tempted to give it a run. Even the full ATX case has a smaller footprint than the pancake case of my Compaq.

The board/CPU/RAM combo posts, and I can get into, change, and save BIOS settings. Just need a HDD option to pull it all together (and the adapter board is in the mail). Does this seem to be a usable set of components, or is it stretching a little too far?