VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can get a PIII 700 for 3-4 bucks but it comes without a heatsink/fan. I have a PIII 450 Slot 1 CPU with a fan attached - would it be possible to detach that HSF and use it with the PIII 700? Would it be enough? Did these CPUs come with different HSFs, or was it a one size fits all HSF for the whole range?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that should work fine. The very early Slot 1 processors had different coolers, but P III all use the same I believe.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 16, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are two types of slot 1 heatsinks. One type for SECC1 packaged processors and another for SECC2. SECC1 heatsinks are found on early Pentium 2 processors are are typically not removable. SECC2 heatsinks are found on all Pentium 3 processors and some late model Pentium 2s.

Search for the s-Spec of your Pentium 2 on CPUWorld. If it's listed as having the SECC2 package its heatsink will work on your Pentium 3. Usually SECC2 heatsinks have a metal plate that slides off on the plastic side. If your Pentium 2 isn't SECC2 you're going to have to buy a heatsink.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 3 of 16, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you find one of the PIII heatsink/fan units that support 900MHz and 1GHz then you can use it on all of them as PIII's at those higher speeds are supposed to have a higher quality/performance cooling solution than the slower PIII's. Took me a while to find a heatsink/fan that was specifically rated for those higher speeds for my PIII 1GHz but a found a vendor that had them and picked one up and a few extras just in I needed them for a future project. They are really nice being copper based and have a detailed heatsink design rather than just a slab of aluminum with some fins on it.

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 4 of 16, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to Wikipedia, the P3-450 (Katmai) has a TDP of 25.3W, while the P3-700 (Coppermine) has a TDP of 18.3W. So you would be perfectly OK by using the cooler of the P3-450 on the P3-700, assuming it is removable.

Reply 5 of 16, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Gatewayuser200 wrote:

There are two types of slot 1 heatsinks. One type for SECC1 packaged processors and another for SECC2. SECC1 heatsinks are found on early Pentium 2 processors are are typically not removable. SECC2 heatsinks are found on all Pentium 3 processors and some late model Pentium 2s.

Search for the s-Spec of your Pentium 2 on CPUWorld. If it's listed as having the SECC2 package its heatsink will work on your Pentium 3. Usually SECC2 heatsinks have a metal plate that slides off on the plastic side. If your Pentium 2 isn't SECC2 you're going to have to buy a heatsink.

They are all removable when applying the right amount of pressure and with the right tools *coughs* screwdriver and hammer *coughs*
there are aftermarket kits available still on Ebay from cooler master designed for slot 1 and not very expensive either. It is very compact and has a 50 MM fan on it, I use one on my deschuttes 450 Mhz. downside is that it usually blocks the chipset which tend to require a fan on top of the heatsink.

Reply 6 of 16, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Richo wrote:
Gatewayuser200 wrote:

They are all removable when applying the right amount of pressure and with the right tools *coughs* screwdriver and hammer *coughs*
there are aftermarket kits available still on Ebay from cooler master designed for slot 1 and not very expensive either. It is very compact and has a 50 MM fan on it, I use one on my deschuttes 450 Mhz. downside is that it usually blocks the chipset which tend to require a fan on top of the heatsink.

Some heat sinks on SECC1 slot 1 processors are just not intended to be removed.

I've seen some OEM SECC1 slot 1 processors with screw/rivets holding the heatsink in place. They use a torx bit, but because the splines are so small and fragile it's very easy to round it out. Once it rounds out the only way to remove them is will a drill or drill press which is a pain.

I think the proper removable heatsink solution for SECC1 has a lever on the top of the heasink and little metal pawls that clamp it to the package or something, or was it two tiny clips? Not sure as they aren't too common.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 7 of 16, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PIII 700 is going to be a SECC2 package (one side of the CPU package will be open). I think the PIII 450 came in both SECC1 and SECC2 packages.

If the PIII 450 you have is SECC2, than you might be able to use that heatsink/fan combination. However, some heatsinks are not really designed to be taken off a SECC2 package (the 'boxed' Intel coolers for example). There are a few different clamping designs, be careful when trying to remove it. Post pictures if you aren't sure.

1982 to 2001

Reply 8 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are early PII which have a huge passive cooler mounted with four screws,
these are best in my opinion. I really like them mounted on a PII 333 that can
be clocked all the way from 133 to 333 Mhz. This A-stepping of the 333 was
only produced in two revisions.

The best Slot-CPU for a retro gamer. 😀

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:

According to Wikipedia, the P3-450 (Katmai) has a TDP of 25.3W, while the P3-700 (Coppermine) has a TDP of 18.3W. So you would be perfectly OK by using the cooler of the P3-450 on the P3-700, assuming it is removable.

Right, this looks all fine, except I can't seem to figure out how to remove the cooler from my PIII 450.. SMH..

med_gallery_60983_11505_431705.jpg

Reply 10 of 16, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, yes, that's an Intel cooler that comes with the boxed CPU's. Those are tough to remove but possible. I found a guide here: http://www.fat-rat.com/fluff/Heatsink_info/

I have done this years ago, but I remember breaking one of the pegs. I don't know how easy it would be for you to find another heatsink, but if I were you I wouldn't try to remove this one. The plastic might have gotten brittle also...

1982 to 2001

Reply 11 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take a flat head case screw, rest the head on the table, rest the plastic peg's (holographic logo side of course!) end on the tip of case screw tip, push down processor firmly. Works every time. For SECC1 heatsinks with rivets, use T20 or T15 screwedriver and force in and unscrew, the slot is hex already.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 16, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

pentiumspeed wrote:

For SECC1 heatsinks with rivets, use T20 or T15 screwedriver and force in and unscrew, the slot is hex already.

Easier said than done 🤣

Reply 13 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gatewayuser200 wrote:
[…]
Show full quote

pentiumspeed wrote:

For SECC1 heatsinks with rivets, use T20 or T15 screwedriver and force in and unscrew, the slot is hex already.

Easier said than done 🤣

I for one failed to do it..

Reply 14 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what is the best passive cooler for a p3-slot-cpu?
mine has a passive cooler, but the plastic-clip that hold's the passive-heatsink on top of the cpu has no "riffels" anymore, so the heatsink always falls from the cpu 🙁

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not saying they are the best but ones from Compaq, HP, IBM, etc must be alright, they lived in fairly tight computers, something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentium-III-3 … 2QAAOSw2s1Uy3g9