VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think dos saw it as a smaller drive, or something like that, it's a 40gb, now whenever I try to put it in a hard drive dock:

Doesn't show up in explorer
Disk maanagement and partition software lock up but come back the moment I remove the disk
And "drive x is not formatted" pops up as soon as I remove it, even though explorer can never assign a drive letter to it while it's plugged in.

I can't find any bios that lets me low level format.

Reply 1 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This has happened to me once before in a drive that was labled larger than it actually was. I forgot what I used to format it, but it was some form of Linux. I still forget the solution, but my suggestion is if it's new enough, try GParted, or if you can stick the drive in a new machine. You can re-write the partition tables from scratch, and unless it's really boned, it should fix it.

Reply 2 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ampera wrote:

This has happened to me once before in a drive that was labled larger than it actually was. I forgot what I used to format it, but it was some form of Linux. I still forget the solution, but my suggestion is if it's new enough, try GParted, or if you can stick the drive in a new machine. You can re-write the partition tables from scratch, and unless it's really boned, it should fix it.

Is it likely too far gone if even the bios can't tell what size it is?

Reply 3 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on the BIOS. It's possible it's not the fault of DOS, more the fact that the drive died right as you were formatting it in DOS.

Either way, if it can't be fixed with GParted, it likely can't be fixed. Try it or not.

Reply 4 of 10, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HDDLLF can maybe work, if not, then maybe GParted?
Happened to me once, but in my case head got damaged and I got only 2/3 of the drive (it used 3 heads)

Reply 5 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS are you plugging it into the dock with?

You can always use DISKPART from an elevated command prompt. If you run a CLEAN command on the drive and then a CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY it should hopefully come back to life.

Commands from elevated command prompt:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK (whatever disk is the correct number)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

It should then be found in disk management and you should be able to create a partition there.

If that doesn't bring it back to life then it is probably dead.

Another thing to note is that I have had issues with certain docks and certain drives where they don't play nice together. If that is the case, you may need to use a different dock or hook it directly up to a controller.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It had a 3gb partition on that, deleted it and made a new one for the full size of the disk (it was reporting correct size). Both of these operations took a very long time and gparted kept reporting errors on the drive just starting up, before the gui. Same thing is happening when attempting to plug it in.

Reply 7 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would still try a clean operation on it.

Sounds like it may be dying, but it could be that the partition table is just whacked.

Edit: Just deleting the partition does not do as much as running a clean operation with diskpart.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
What OS are you plugging it into the dock with? […]
Show full quote

What OS are you plugging it into the dock with?

You can always use DISKPART from an elevated command prompt. If you run a CLEAN command on the drive and then a CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY it should hopefully come back to life.

Commands from elevated command prompt:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK (whatever disk is the correct number)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

It should then be found in disk management and you should be able to create a partition there.

If that doesn't bring it back to life then it is probably dead.

Another thing to note is that I have had issues with certain docks and certain drives where they don't play nice together. If that is the case, you may need to use a different dock or hook it directly up to a controller.

Diskpart also locks up in the same manner as other utilities trying to access it.

Reply 10 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use the Gparted live cd image to boot debian and run gparted, and fix the issue. Linux cures all things.

And if that does not work, try booting the DBAN live CD and doing a full low level nuke on the drive, that will wipe and overwrite everything on it including MBR, FAT, EVERYTHING.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.