VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I'm thinking of doing the retr0bright treatment on my "new" Roland CM-64. I noticed some people use pre-mixed retail hydrogen peroxide cream that is intended for bleaching hair (such as this http://a.co/1OEJTgJ ). Does anyone have experience with this? If so, how important is the oxiclean? Some people in Amazon reviews report success with just the peroxide cream, and I'd rather go with the least involved option unless it makes a big difference.

Reply 1 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My chemistry is a bit rusty, but after some googling, it seems like Oxiclean is a source of TAED, which probably is the key to efficient bleaching of plastics at room temperature. Hydrogen peroxide alone won't do the trick in a reasonable time frame.

It might work without Oxiclean at higher temperatures, say 70 deg C or something like that, but I wouldn't want to expose ABS plastic to that, too close to where it begins to lose form stability.

Reply 2 of 10, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used the peroxide cream on a couple items and although it did a great job of restoring the color, it was also blotchy in areas where some spots were brighter than others. You could visually see the blotchy spots when you picked it up as well. It wasnt really bad, but it wasnt uniform either.

I dont know if there is a better way to apply it, but poured out some of the cream onto the case (a Commodore VIC-20 was one of them) and, with gloves on, rubbed the cream all over the case top and sides. I then covered it with plastic wrap as best I could, trying to keep any creases in the plastic wrap to a minimum for a flat covering. Then set it in the sun for 10 hours. After that, took off the plastic wrap and cleaned off the cream.

If you watch the video for the 8-Bit Guy on Youtube where he uses the cream to restore a Roland unit, if you pause the video when he's showing the case after using the cream, you can see some of the blotchy spots I am talking about - (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUvICKyXnqU - go to 7:41). Its not horribly noticeable, but its there (or the three monitors I have viewed it on are all bad).

Overall, it works OK, but I imagine putting the case in a container and filling it with Peroxide to completely cover it would make it look way better.

Reply 3 of 10, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used premixed cream to restore the front of my old IBM Aptiva. I didnt use natural sunlight but instead used a UV Light, left it on for around 36 hours and it came out without any blotches etc.

Reply 4 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the blotches are usually caused by the paste drying out while the item remains in the sun.

If you start seeing dry patches forming, you'd need to ideally wash the entire thing down with water before re-applying the stuff (I think the 'burned' off stuff remaining on the plastic has a detrimental effect)

Reply 5 of 10, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've successfully used only the salon 40 vol peroxide cream stuff on the following items
1. Old Beige AT Keyboard
2. Amiga 500 case and keys
3. Commodore Vic 20 case
4. Front of 486 beige case
5. Amiga 500 Power supply brick
6. White Microsoft mouse USB

The only thing I have done that has gone blotchy is my Aopen case from 2000 which will be getting thrown out
at some point. A few tips...

1. If You ever try non white or non beige keycaps, leave out for a maximum time of 3 hours then clean off thoroughly
apply again on another day if need be. The only reason to try here is that the writing on top of the keys may be yellowed.
2. Always cover the item with cling wrap to help avoid the cream drying out.
3. It's possible some plastics just won't benefit properly from this, which could be one reason why some go blotchy.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 10, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need the oxyclean, that's just to clean the dirt and grim off of it. I started a thread about this topic, its in my sig.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 7 of 10, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that the premixed cream does in fact work, but it requires longer exposure (and preferably to natural sunlight, though UV lamps work too. I think the higher temp from sitting in the sun helps.)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 8 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks guys. I also found a video by 8-Bit Guy that shows a side-by-side test of peroxide cream + oxiclean versus just peroxide cream. He noted no difference.

I had already watched his CM-300 video as well. It's actually a CM-64 that I'm thinking of treating.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote:

I dont know if there is a better way to apply it, but poured out some of the cream onto the case (a Commodore VIC-20 was one of them) and, with gloves on, rubbed the cream all over the case top and sides. I then covered it with plastic wrap as best I could, trying to keep any creases in the plastic wrap to a minimum for a flat covering. Then set it in the sun for 10 hours. After that, took off the plastic wrap and cleaned off the cream.

From what I've read, your issue may have been due to leaving it out too long. I've heard that you want to leave it out for 2-3 hours max, and that you should wash it off and apply a second treatment if it needs more.

Also, some plastics are apparently more susceptible to blotching than others - especially the ones with some coloring in them?