VOGONS

Cheap AT/ATX Test Bench?

Topic actions

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone sell PC test bench kits? Basically just 2 pieces of acrylic (or better yet - metal), some stands, overhead peripheral bar for stability, and hopefully all the screw holes in the right positions. Something that conserves space.

I bought a DIYPC GT-Alpha3, and I didn't think the quality level merited the price ($50). For $20 more, a Lian-Li PC-T60 was loads better (and all metal design). But unfortunately, the PC-T60's are creeping up in price because Lian-Li stopped making them or something. The replacement PC-T70/80 are loads more expensive and have extra features I don't care about.

Reply 1 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't come across a cheap test bench. With added shipping it actually turns out more expensive than a case.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 23, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came across this lately:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/QDIY-PC-D60-On … 1783227644.html
I have not bought it or used it because i don't have the need for a test bench, but i thought it is kinda cheap.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My testbench usually is on an empty motherboard box, very cheap, extremely lightweight, non conductive and very easy to work with. 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 23, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solarstorm wrote:

I came across this lately:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/QDIY-PC-D60-On … 1783227644.html
I have not bought it or used it because i don't have the need for a test bench, but i thought it is kinda cheap.

For $30, I'd rather just buy some acrylic (12"x12" (300mm)) or plastic and drill screw holes. Also, since it's a 1 layer design, it wastes a lot of desk-space.

That said, if you have a non-metal base, do you need to have some sort of grounding?

Reply 5 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

My testbench usually is on an empty motherboard box, very cheap, extremely lightweight, non conductive and very easy to work with. 😎

^This.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

That said, if you have a non-metal base, do you need to have some sort of grounding?

I've made it a habit to always use a grounded power outlet thingy from the wall whenever applying power to my test bench (my last house did not have grounded power outlets everywhere, so I kinda used lots of extension cables 🤣!)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 23, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
meljor wrote:

^This.

This is what I'm doing for the most part. Use an USPS flat rate box for the motherboard. Attach PSU, DVD, HDD, FDD, etc somewhere around the sides. But my desk is getting pretty messy. We have the Lian Li PC-T60 at work and I think they're really nice. Everything fits in a 12x12" (300mm) area. PSU/DVD/HDD/FDD all fit underneath the motherboard. Has a handlebar so its easily portable. However, it does cost $70. I figure if there was something made of acrylic that was cheaper, I'd be for that as well.

Reply 8 of 23, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about this? Im thinking ordering one myself.

L101-atx.JPG
Filename
L101-atx.JPG
File size
59.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/L-10 … 2743197755.html

Reply 9 of 23, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good question. I use the motherboard box method now, but something like the Lian-Li PC-T60 looks convenient, especially if you need to clear the desk regularly. I might be on the lookout for a PC-T60 now 😉

1982 to 2001

Reply 10 of 23, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow...Modification is easy.
Playing basketball when you are 6'00'' and must shoot in front of a 7' breathing in your neck is easy.
Playing Tomb Raider II is piece of cake. 😵

Sorry, this is just to demonstrate how interested I am on the qdiy PC-D60.
The only thing holding me:
Dexvx said - it wastes a lot of desk-space.

How can that happen ? My desk measures 2m long and is totally messed with 3 motherboards, 5 HDDS, 2SSD and 2PSUS at this moment.
Is this a product for me ?
Yes! And prettier than this spider like bench-test (the only product I could find from Lian-Li).

QqOQAHNOLlOvRlpW3MHDNFZQHA67ZaXthty_A_N1qQtdSAdLhguH9rpgl95jC685ENK2qA=s85
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-866270 … 2-meses-uso-_JM

Reply 11 of 23, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@PhilsComputerLab What bench do you use in the Building my new PC for benchmarks and testing video (and probably others)?

1982 to 2001

Reply 12 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

@PhilsComputerLab What bench do you use in the Building my new PC for benchmarks and testing video (and probably others)?

Tech station from the USA. Shipping is super expensive overseas, so I used a forwarder. It's OK but too expensive to get more, which I could use. The card mount is the negative of this bench IMO.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13 of 23, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

May I add the easiest option?

Just use the motherboard tray from any ATX case that has a removable tray. I know there are some ATX cases that have removable trays and are AT/ATX compatible.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 14 of 23, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ATX tray idea is definitely good for something on the cheap. Main problem is again, massive desk area covered (because you have to run the PSU/Drives in parallel instead of under like a Tech Station from Phils link. But even then, that Tech Station is like $80 USD. So I just went ahead and bought a Lian-Li PC-T60 during one of those eBay coupon days. Cost me $72 USD shipped total. So a mini-review.

Lian-Li PC-T60B
Pros:
All metal construction.
Very compact; total surface area covers about EATX size. Everything (PSU + expansion) else fits underneath.
Good expansion; 3x 3.5", 2x 2.5", and 2x 5.25" expansion all underneath.
Easy to change out PSU and all expansion.
Relatively sturdy ATX brackets.
Handle bar for easy lifting.
Nice aesthetics.

Cons:
No AT mounting.
Manual sucks. I had to do double and triple takes on some of the assembly pictures.
Scratches somewhat easily (and readily apparent).
Black is cheapest color. Red and Silver stupidly expensive.

Comments:
I thought $80 was expensive for what amounts to a bunch of screws and various pieces of machined metal. But looking at all the other options, it was actually one of the cheapest on the market.

Reply 15 of 23, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
<snip> […]
Show full quote

<snip>

Cons:
No AT mounting.

<snip>

That's a bummer, not an option for me then 🙁 I think I'll create something myself from a slide-out motherboard tray.

1982 to 2001

Reply 16 of 23, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I took my dead 486 Baby-AT board, and the screws do indeed fit the lower half of the board. However, you need two of those plastic AT standoffs (not sure what they're called), and you're good to go. Otherwise you can drill extra holes. The test bench comes with about 2x the amount of motherboard standoffs and screws needed for standard ATX.

Full sized AT, however, is way longer than the tray, so that's not recommended.

Reply 17 of 23, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

an ATX motherboard try should mount a baby AT board no problems. In fact I've got IO Shields specially for putting a baby AT motherboard in an ATX Case.

Personally I like the LIAN LI PC-T60B option because it has mounts for the optical and disk drives. This makes it easy to either 1) have a PowerSupply, optical, and disk drives set that you use for testing any number of CPU/Motherboard/expansion cards combinations. Any of the cheaper options listed You have to have your drives sit loose either way, which is probably what most of us do and what I do now, but is not optimal.

Reply 18 of 23, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a late 90's super tower server case with no side panels and stole the removable motherboard tray. Kinda looks like that AliExpress special

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 19 of 23, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm necroposting a bit here now, but it does seem to be the best thread. I have been getting more frustrated with the cardboard box test setup I have and I have been thinking about the DIYPC Alpha-DB6 as a test platform. It's not really expensive and seems to be available.

Website here:
http://www.mydiypcusa.com/products/cases/benc … a-db6-case.html

YouTube explanation by Newegg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCFRpKKMZJA

Another option is still homebuilt, like this one (warning; Linus Tech Tips content):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjMlE7YS5E

1982 to 2001