VOGONS

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to put my Skylake build into an older beige tower. I have the complete system and just looking for a good condition ATX white/beige case. It must have front panel pins that are standard ATX (so those legendary Dell Dimension XPS D/R/T series are a no)... I live in US. Anyone know where to get one in good shape or if you know a reliable decent model to get from Amazon or elsewhere? Thank you

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

I want to put my Skylake build into an older beige tower. I have the complete system and just looking for a good condition ATX white/beige case. It must have front panel pins that are standard ATX (so those legendary Dell Dimension XPS D/R/T series are a no)... I live in US. Anyone know where to get one in good shape or if you know a reliable decent model to get from Amazon or elsewhere? Thank you

a bit on the big side, but the Intel SC5250-E would fit your needs.
1ghz tbird setup.

Id opp for a old server case, it will have the cooling you need and likely support AXT boards.

Reply 4 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On Rakuten but they're sold out 😒

Did find htis https://www.nexhi.com/en/nexhi-case-atx-front … mid-tower-beige

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay so apparently it is the same one as this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16811162041

I ended up buying it anyways, it was $36 total including shipping. I got the front panel of the Dimension XPS T500 case to work with standard layout ATX motherboards by sticking a needle into a blocked pin and removing the filler. Tested it and it works great. Ordered a couple of 92mm PWM fans and going to replace my cooler with a smaller one cause it's too big to fit.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 17, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you just looking for something white/beige period or are you actually going for a retro look? There are still new white cases available after all

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm//301743209787? Case in point.

Reply 7 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Retro look... I hate how oeuvrestylized most new cases are. Fractal Design does make some nice cases but I like the idea of dumping new hardware in an old case.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

Retro look... I hate how oeuvrestylized most new cases are. Fractal Design does make some nice cases but I like the idea of dumping new hardware in an old case.

I'm the same way, I can't stand the look of new cases.
I have a dual 1366 workstation in the server case I recommend.
I would not want it any other way

Reply 9 of 17, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought several of these. They are nostalgic for me because my first Custom machine sporting a Pentium 2 was built in one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GB4JYQ/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply 10 of 17, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
I'm the same way, I can't stand the look of new cases. I have a dual 1366 workstation in the server case I recommend. I would no […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

I'm the same way, I can't stand the look of new cases.
I have a dual 1366 workstation in the server case I recommend.
I would not want it any other way

I think I am a bit more flexible then most of us. I don't mind modern cases as long as they aren't gaudy and loud. i like my cases to be sleek and straight forward.

Reply 12 of 17, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

It must have front panel pins that are standard ATX (so those legendary Dell Dimension XPS D/R/T series are a no)...

Front panels can be rewired very easily.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 13 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gatewayuser200 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

It must have front panel pins that are standard ATX (so those legendary Dell Dimension XPS D/R/T series are a no)...

Front panels can be rewired very easily.

Actually there is one pin that is sealed shut so I stuck a needle in there and removed the filling. Fits into my mobo's headers perfectly and works.
Might just pick up another one of these cases and do the same trick

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 17, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for reference, another slick trick with proprietary front panels is to buy some 1P pin housings (or even 2P) so you can pull the pins out of the original connector and put them into individual plugs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131413159465

For the super evil front panels you may need to cut the ends and crimp on entirely new connectors instead of just swapping the housing. The supplies and tools for this are also easily available on fleabay and they just crimp on so it's not hard to do.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 16 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a case, just gonna use a Dell Dimension 4100 I found for cheap on eBay and swapping in a faceplate from an older Dell Dimension P133

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 17, by techgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a week ago I ordered this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PC-Mid-Towe … 872.m2749.l2649. It is beige, except for two small colored plastic pieces on the front panel (the top one can be replaced with a smaller plastic cover that was in the box, thus freeing one more 5.25" bay). Their listing says that you may select from the three colors that they have available: dark blue, bright blue and red - although, I explicitly wrote them that I want the bright blue, I got the dark blue case. When it showed up yesterday it turned out that the dark blue doesn't look as awful as in the pictures. It comes with a power supply for a little over $30 shipped. It seems that it might also be easy to convert it to an AT type case, but I needed it for my PII build.

Attachments

• ATXCase.jpg
    Filename
    ATXCase.jpg
    File size
    526.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception