VOGONS

First post, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I recently bought two Diamond Monster 3d II 3dfx Voodoo 2 8MB cards and they are both in mint conditions and came with the passthrough cable and the ribbon connector for SLI.

IMG_1478_zpsogbr46ce.jpg

IMG_1479_zps4oscgwdg.jpg

IMG_1490_zpsmdvpvua1.jpg

Now I have noticed that there are 3 main chipsets on each card which arent cooled at all, not even passive cooled, same as with the matrox M3D

Matroxm3DPowerVRcard2_zps97dc6dcf.jpg

What I want to know is, can someone recommend a decent cooling solution for those chipsets on the Voodoos and the Matrox M3D ? since its 1st of june and summer and its getting pretty hot here I was wondering on how to cool them properly. I already have my case open but some advice on how to apply a passive cooler to those plastic chipsets and what pads to use would be very helpful.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 1 of 9, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I have never seen a heatsink on a PCX1/2 PowerVR chip. Doubt you'll need one (I don't have one on my PCX1, although that probably won't run as hot as PCX2).

My Voodoo2's don't currently have any heat dissapation so would be interested to see what others say (I don't really use them much anyway tbh). I was just thinking about getting bog standard heatsinks that fit the chips (3DFX chips and RAM) and sticking them on just to make them look badass at least.

Reply 3 of 9, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the Matrox M3D gets pretty hot especially when you use faster CPUs like a Pentium 3

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 4 of 9, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Voodoo cooling solution is 35mm heatsinks attached using 3M thermal tape. A 120mm front fan provides a bit of airflow.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a bit of rough research on temperatures a while back
Voodoo 2 Temperatures

Stealth V2 Cooler are the period correct coolers
DSCN0108.JPG

But as long as you mount a fan somewhere and have airflow over the cards you'll be fine.

Reply 8 of 9, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looks like a custom cooler ??? is it taped onto the chipsets directly with powertape ?

Reply 9 of 9, by psycotrip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

id measure the chips you want to cool and look for adhesive heat sinks on ebay that are the correct size.
I measured my voodoo2, I don't have a nec card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Tone-28mm-x-28mm … p8AAOSwxu5ZEZ9d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Lot-28mm-x-28mm- … 5kAAOSwQTVV7p3Z

your welcome

btw this is a Compaq oem voodoo3 1000 16mb with sgram that I added heat sinks to

Attachments

• voodoo3.jpg
    Filename
    voodoo3.jpg
    File size
    4.42 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception